The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

Pics
I've heard nice things about the Italians. Never heard of Buckfast though
Today, DH and I helped my bee mentor install packages of bees. The guy's granddaughter and her boyfriend were there. He had 5 packages, there were 5 of us, and we each did a package. It was a really interesting experience.

View attachment 3495348
View attachment 3495350
The first 4 packages were Buckfast. The last was Italian. The Buckfast were very calm (my impression, anyway). We did the Italian last, and they were even more calm.

I was amazed at how calm I was, too. :)

The first 4 packages were Buckfast. The last was Italian. The Buckfast were very calm (my impression, anyway). We did the Italian last, and they were even more calm.
The bees in the package are unrelated to the queen in the cage. Otherwise, the queen could be loose in the package. In about 6-7 weeks you'll know the behavior of her offspring.

The bees in the package are unrelated to the queen in the cage. Otherwise, the queen could be loose in the package. In about 6-7 weeks you'll know the behavior of her offspring.
Interesting. They aren't my bees, so I'll have to ask Ed (my "bee guy") if he notices any change. He probably would. He's been taking care of bees for 61 years.

I get my bees this Saturday! :wee

I've been reading about testing/treating for varroa. How soon after I get my nuc should I do a test?

I've been reading about testing/treating for varroa. How soon after I get my nuc should I do a test?
Thats excellent! The key to success is keeping mites under control. There're a couple things you can look for when installing your nuc. As you pull out the frames of bees you can take a quick scan for bees with crinkled up wings. Sometimes they're on the bottom of the nuc box. You can check the box after you place all the frames into the hive. One or two isn't a big deal but several are. Mites are small red/brownish ovals about the size of a comma, If you count more than 10 or 20 mites on the bottom of the nuc box and have several bees with crinkled up wings call the supplier. Most nucleus colonies are fine, but I've seen my share of really bad ones. You should have 3 frames of mixed brood and 2 frames of honey and pollen. Learn about doing mite washes, you'll want to do about 1 a month during the active season. If want to buy a mite wash jar the best one is by Ceracell. Do your first mite check in June. July is the most critical.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/new-e...anagement-from-the-honey-bee-health-coalition

https://scientificbeekeeping.com/

I've been reading a lot from the second link you shared; very helpful. I hadn't found the first link, but it's cool that it's from MSU! Michigan State University is about an hour away from me.

My mom and her mom went to University of Michigan, the "other" big school here, world known for its med school.

There is a huge (HUGE) rivalry between the two when it comes to sports. :lau

Michigan State University is about an hour away from me.
You have one of the best beekeeping resources in the world right in your backyard! Look up the Michigan Pollinator Initiative. MSU has classes, webinars, and programs. If you get a chance to attend one of Dr. Meghan Milbraths presentations and meet her, do it. I'll see her in June at Betterbee.
For some informative videos on beekeeping look to "The University of Guelph Honey Bee Research Centre".

Not much going on in my bee world. They are busy. I opened the hive after about 9 days and my expectations were a little inflated. They are drawing comb, but much slower than I expected. Iā€™m going to leave them alone for a good while and just watch from the outside. Someone else was curious too!
IMG_3255.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom