The water dunking cured my broody!! (Update w/ PIC)

Quote:
Is she sitting on fertile eggs? I think if she hatches the eggs it should, but I've never done that. It will take a while though.

The eggs are fertile. I am not trying to break her, I just don't want her to decide she isn't going to sit anymore.

Quote:
Congrats on your success. I have done the cold water dip 3 times already. They don't seem to mind it at all, they stay nice and calm just like you mentioned. The only problem that I have had is after about an hour they are trying to get right back in the nest boxes. So, as of now, it has not worked for me. Guess I'll try it again today.

I might have to give this a try.
Mine has been in a broody mood for a couple of days.
Today I put a bottle of ice under her. She stayed a bit...then off the nest she went.
We will see if that works. I will try a couple of days.
If not...the water bath will be next.
I thought of doing the cage bit...but these ways seem easier.
it is so hot here, they might enjoy the cold treatment
smile.png

Quote:
Is she sitting on fertile eggs? I think if she hatches the eggs it should, but I've never done that. It will take a while though.

The eggs are fertile. I am not trying to break her, I just don't want her to decide she isn't going to sit anymore.

Isolating her on a nest shouldn't break her up.

The Rx for breaking up a broody involves isolating in a wire-bottom cage with no nesting materials, elevated so air can flow under (or even with a fan). The idea (like the cold water) is to cool off the hen's underside. If she is sitting on a nest, she should stay plenty warm.

Quote:
We used hose water with some ice, admittedly. It was very cold water, but not colder than I would have sat in myself. She was in it for about 30 seconds. And I did it twice with about an hour in between. When I felt her temp vs the temp of my other hens, I was convinced that I would give this a try.

I too had a broody hen last fall with nothing to gain from it. My husband was worried about her losing too much body fat before the winter. We gave her three separate dips in our swimming pool within one day. There was plenty of ruckus when he removed her from her nest, but she was as calm as can be as my husband held her body in the water. The pool water was cool enough for me to not swim in, but the day was sunny and warm. She did not stop fighting to get back to her empty nest until the next day, but I do think it helped break her broodiness.

I took the video camera out and everything, expecting quite a show.... but the hen just clucked soothingly while she swam. The video is not even worth posting
wink.png

I wonder whether one of my barred rocks is broody. I have 6 hens. I rarely get 6 eggs, and in the afternoon, when they are usually done laying, she'll be on the nest. But if I turn them loose to run around, she runs around with the rest. Since I don't know what's going on, and she isn't causing a problem, and I can only eat so many eggs anyway, I'm just observing. But this is a great educational thread...
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom