The water dunking cured my broody!! (Update w/ PIC)

You have to leave the little buggars in there awhile like 2 minutes or more so the temp cools to the core body temp, if not you will just end up getting her wet. And do this a few times a day, and make that water cold cold cold !!!! the colder it is the less time you have to keep her in it, and i never care how long or loud they squall, If you half A33 any of the step's your just spinning your wheels.

Great job!

I've started doing this too. I have an 'extra' broody I need to break this weekend so we will be putting her in the farm house sink in our mudroom for an afternoon bath. The last one I broke this way was a super stubborn BO. It took two days but it worked.

Success. I think this cold water dipping finally worked. They had to stay in the water for over a minute like it was stated earlier. Now how long til they start laying again?

does this work on ducks too?

I have a pekin and a runner duck that i have to fight for eggs every morning. Ive got huge bruises from their bites to prove it haha

Hi,

I have an 18 month-old Golden Comet who I tried this on today. How long before I might expect to see a change in behavior? I dunked her at 10am (for about 30 seconds)- set her out to the field, and when they came back around noon she went back in to the coop. I dunked her again (for 1 minute), put her out in the field, and she came back after an hour and got in the coop. I dunked her again (for 2 minutes), closed the coop door for 6 hours and when I opened the coop she went back in. While some of the postings seem to indicate the change was immediate, I thought that maybe I would see something today. Then I thought "maybe it takes a day to kick in?"

This is the first time I have had a broody hen and I have heard the dunking may be the fastest way to break her. Since this is my first time dunking, it's entirely possible that I'm not doing it right.

Any suggestions?

~Kristen

Give's a whole new meaning to world Ole wet hen LOL................. ever wonder how they came up with that hehehehehe, just listen to them once in awhile OMG it's a riot................... and they call us crazy
roll.png

The funny thing is that I am using a big lobster pot to dunk her in. Laughing to myself I thought: If you stay broody you're going to be spending a lot more time in this pot - like 1 1/2 hours with your new friends Mr. Carrot and Mr. Onion.

(I crack myself up!)
tongue.png

Last edited:
hahahaha.... mr carrot and mr onion. I have yet to have a broody, but the over-heating hen I thought would die about 6 weeks ago went straight in the dog's water bucket, and she's still with me. I think I kept her in about 2 minutes. No more over-heating either. Calcium metabolism seems to be affected by heat.

Back
Top Bottom