The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Oh yes, I still love my Wellies and I don't think I ever would get out of them!

I've been working on the the three breeds so far in the last four years or so and have been consisent. Others I would love a Faverolle (I used to raise them but now I can be happy with one just for eye candy!)

The three breeds I have or planning on getting more are the Wellies, Spitzhaubens and EE or Ameraucanas. With a 4x7 coop and a 8x 16 run, you have only so much room for so many birds. If I had 12 I'm pushing the envelope and it was NOT pretty during the days they have to be confined in a coop in a two day winter storm day. I am planning on expanding another 8 foot, thanks to my power company guys, they cut down a pine tree in the corner of the lot because it kept tapping the electric lines every year so to end it all, along with the crappy pigeons making their homes in it, along with unfortunate homeless barred owl, I had enough of that pine tree. Sure it made great shade but a real pain in the butt to clean up. Now all for the more reason, more room for chickies to run in!

I can limit myself to four to five Wellies, 4 Spitz and maybe two to three EE or Ameraucanas for my colorful egg basket. And have a different roo each year to get some spring hatches. I was hopoing to get a Wellie roo but no one has one or can't ship at this point in time. Spitz chicks are going to be going on this year along with Wellie chicks I am hoping to get (Fugate lines and Nate Vanwey's lines) so I am crossing my fingers for a better luck and hopefully Sarah Orpington mom would get her broodiness in order for these chicks. She failed last year but I can not blame her if she is not up for it.

Quote:
Kelly~ TRUST ME.......I still want those Moose babies! I need a nice boy to have with these girls so that I can have layer flock full of Wellies and that flock will need a good rooster to protect them.
big_smile.png
Maybe sometime in March would be good.
smile.png

Hens~ I will always have them....just not going to sell the hatching eggs or chicks. Going to build up the laying flock with them and use their eggs for my eating egg customers.
smile.png

Thanks Everyone for the support, I appreciate you guys and gals!
hugs.gif

Oh phew! So you WILL still have wellies, just not be breeding them. I thought you were getting out of them completely.

You're first on my waiting list, so as soon as they are laying well, you'll have your pick of dates.

Royce - I totally get what you are saying. For me, the attraction of a breed is that it's NOT a fad. I actually arranged barnevelder eggs before the explosion of them as a fad, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have chosen them.

I guess I'm a bit different, because I want to see the improvements in my flock. I want to improve the breeds I have and have something tangible that I can say, hey, I did that! Anyone can put 2 birds together and hatch eggs, for me the enjoyment will come as I improve my birds. I do love all the different breeds (have Isbar eggs in my bator right now as a test hatch for a friend), they give me the variety of my egg basket and a colorful flock. Best of both worlds.

HC, thanks for your post. I'm glad I make sense some of the time. I should also state that I have other breeds around for eye candy as well. Plus I make my own EE's. I like the variety of birds and the different colors of eggs. And, like you, the joy I get from breeding comes in the few small successes I see every now and then.

God Bless,

Pink, I know how you feel. When I lost my English type Orps, I was heartsick. I ended up hatching some more, but I just didn't feel the same.

I am glad you will continue to have Wellies.
hugs.gif

Royce, I have my EE/layer flock for the flash and fancy. I have my Wellies because they are dear to my heart.
And I have my project blue silver laced wyandottes to play with.

Not very user friendly. Takes more scrolling, more steps to get somewhere on here! And very busy "flashes" on the right side of the screen. There is no "x" to delete those selling boxes! Takes more time to read, had to get my reading glasses to get somewhere in here LOL! I'm willing to be patient while I get to know the new BYC. FB is easier than this site LOL!

Ok I found you guys...... now I have to figure out how to do it again LOL. Good Morning ya'all.....Kim

For those who love" Welles" ! My birds free range always.Today a coyote came thru at noon ??? I wish I had a camera, he was attack in unision by my dobe and my Big Welsummer roo Two Feathers! and to make matters worse he didn't leave fast enough and our mustang joined the fight ...poor Mr. Coyote !! :)

Back
Top Bottom