Treating Niacin deficiency - question on movement

If her legs appear in proper position as far as the hips you don't need hobbles. I hope you will see a big improvement in the next week or so!

I’m just not sure what to think. We’re about two weeks in on the b complex. Initially when I realized she wasn’t walking I could stand her up and she would stay on her feet, often for several minutes and sometimes even preen. Now she will only “stand” on her shins. Her knees are always bent even when she’s swimming or being held. I can’t get her to stand at all. We used the vet wrap for a couple days but I felt like it was keeping her from using her legs at all so I took it off. From what I can tell her hips seem ok it’s just her feet that are turned in. Here are some pictures I just took after she was in a warm bath before putting her back in the run. I plan to continue the b complex, poultry cell and baths but I was really hoping she would be in better shape by now. She will hobble around on her shins and use her wings and beak for balance. Do you think she can recover? It’s difficult to see her like this and I just hope she’s not suffering. I’m not giving up on her but I need some input please.

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6185.jpeg
    IMG_6185.jpeg
    670 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6186.jpeg
    IMG_6186.jpeg
    742.7 KB · Views: 4
Can she straighten her legs out in normal position? Just want to rule out slipped tendons. When in the water does she use her legs to swim around? How much b complex are you giving her? and how?

Aww, poor baby!! Is there any chance you can take her to the vet to make sure it's not slipped tendons? Ugh, I would hate for her to suffer as well. I'm so sorry :(

Can she straighten her legs out in normal position? Just want to rule out slipped tendons. When in the water does she use her legs to swim around? How much b complex are you giving her? and how?
No I don’t see her straighten her legs at all. She’ll kick around in the bath and work her legs pretty hard but she doesn’t get very far. When she was tiny she did the same thing and kind of moved backwards… at the time we thought it was cute but now it seems like it was indicative of this condition. I’m giving her about 1.5 ml oh the b complex in her mouth daily. My husband holds her, I open her bill squirt it in and tip it up and close it and she swallows most of it. I do that 5x until she gets a good bit but I know she doesn’t get it all which is why I put in the extra .5 ml. I’m still putting the nut yeast in her food and the poultry cell also has niacin, plus peas.

Aww, poor baby!! Is there any chance you can take her to the vet to make sure it's not slipped tendons? Ugh, I would hate for her to suffer as well. I'm so sorry :(
Can a regular vet see her? I’m going to read about slipped tendons I didn’t realize that was a possibility. Poor baby 😢

Our vet won’t see her but they recommended Colorado State University vet clinic. Im overwhelmed after reading about slipped tendons. I have no idea how to go about healing her if that is the case. I can’t bear the thought of her suffering and would rather say goodbye than prolong her life if she’s in a lot of pain. After looking at anatomy pics I think it’s her ankle joints that are staying bent. We plan on calling CSU in the morning. If this is a niacin deficiency would she be in better shape by now? I’ve been supplementing her diet with nutritional yeast her whole life so part of me thinks that can’t be it.

Look around online at reviews or make calls to see if any vets in your area see poultry. I have gone to avian vets and a regular one who sees poultry. You're doing a great job with her.

I think that you would have been seeing some improvement if it was simply a niacin deficiency. Let us know what happens with CSU. It's possible that it's not fixable. You've given her a safe and loving home so far. I wouldn't want her to suffer either.

Back
Top Bottom