TS Layer feed

The last three breeds are dual purpose I think, not that great of layers. My BA last year laid top of the game, this year not so much.

Even the RIR if hatchery, often slows. Certainly try a different type of feed, I just don’t think it will make much difference.

They haven't really laid what I would consider good since last fall/late summer and they were all 1yo this past March. Gonna try a different brand of feed and see what happens. They do get lots of table scraps as well.
Generally they lay their best their first laying season, then after their 18 month molt they decrease their egg production by 25% for the next 2-3 years, then by 10% each year on afterward. That's why some people cull hens after they pass the pullet stage.

Also consider that as they age, they become more seasonal in their laying. Mature hens make bigger eggs and healthier chicks than pullets as a general rule. After the 18 month molt, hens will angle towards laying most their eggs in the time of year best for raising chicks, which will be spring and early summer in most temperate places. They'll quit laying after the summer solstice and can take breaks for as long as 4-6 months at a time, although breaks that long aren't the norm for typical hatchery layers of modern design.

Can you fill me in on the coconut oil trick....how do you do it?
Get you a jar of unprocessed, pure, virgin, organic, whatever word you want to use for the most unrefined, natural, coconut oil you can get. It will be solid at a low-70s room temperature about like the inside of an Almond Joy candy bar. At higher temperatures it turns to clear liquid. Set it outside in the sun and let it turn to liquid. Then pour it in a bucket of chicken feed and work it in well and feed your chickens. Give them enough to last them for the day in a feeder. Repeat every few months.

What does that do?
Seems to make them lay well.

The person who taught me believed it had to do with coconut oil being a natural anti-parasitic that cleaned out chicken guts so well that it allowed the digestive system to take in nutrients at maximum efficiency and use the nutrients for egg production.

Whether that’s the cause or not, it defiantly seems to give hens a jolt. Especially older hens.

Cut out the table scraps, it's not good for them.
True, the preprocessed feed (if made correctly) contains the vitamins, minerals, fat, carbs, and protein needed to grow and produce eggs, but that does NOT mean that "table scraps" are bad (unless of course, every meal you eat is fast-food). You are implying that processed chicken food is higher quality nutrition than fresh/cooked fruits and veggies. Would you say feeding your family preprocessed packaged food is healthier than fresh kale, spinach, watermelon, tomatoes, lettuce, etc?
I would say give table scraps keeping in mind that items containing sugar, processed bread, or empty calories is only an occasional treat, but your daughter's brussle sprouts that she refused to eat or the rind of the watermelon you were going to throw away can be given to the chickens.

I find that there is too much inconsistency with the portions of ingredients added to Rural King brand and Tractor Supply brand. We stopped using it because the shades of the feed are always different and full of non edible debris. Also the protein is lower than that 16% they claim.. I'll bet the farm it is. I get tiny eggs from store brands. We are currently using Nutriena Egg Producer 22% and no more small eggs at all. Remember, if you buy the cheapest feed, you get cheep minimum hum drum feed. You will get what you pay for. sleep bubble.gif

Its past the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. Its time for them to stop laying. That’s normal. The TS stuff was just a wild conspiracy theory. A lot of last year’s people who were so sure it was the feed are going to find their chickens are doing the same thing on totally different feed.
Too early to quit laying, the days are still long enough.

Back
Top Bottom