TSC Producers Pride Defender 2020 Version

Maybe, but it would have been much better to attach the coop a gabled side of run to avoid the 'massive' runoff going into the non-flashed edge of the coop roof..

I absolutely agree. If you look at the pictures before the top was added, though, there's no way to substitute the panel with the opening for the coop to the gable ends. The gable panels are solid all the way up. :(

Maybe, but it would have been much better to attach the coop a gabled side of run to avoid the 'massive' runoff going into the non-flashed edge of the coop roof..
I agree if it was possible. The way it’s designed is a open panel only on the runoff side not possible to put on gable side. And yes the roof is installed per manufacturer instructions.

Here's another quick sketch of the top view of the wire to demonstrate the Z. The first shows the gate partially open. The lower one shows the gate closed. The Z shaped wire is attached to the gate from the front, is bent around the gate itself then folded to reach the other post when closed.

View attachment 3135946

It doesn't provide that much "real" security except for very small animals. What it does do is create the appearance of closure, so predators aren't tempted to attack the weak spot.

Another way to approach the gate security could be to fasten (screw or bolt) a 1x4 or 1x6 (depending on the actual gap) to the gate post. That would form a true barrier on the back side of the opening but would allow the gate to open outward. That's how normal doors seal, with some sort of trim around the edges.

Here's what that would look like on the hinge side. The trim touches the gate but isn't fastened to it, only the gatepost around it. Another board on the back of the gatepost of the open side would work the same.

View attachment 3135945
Gotcha. I may do that down the road. Thanks!

Added some ventilation to the front of the coop, didn’t go as planned. The wood is very soft and thin and splintered as I cut so I went the whole way. Not pretty but it’ll be better than before.

Attachments

• E741BAD9-B4DA-4F81-BC55-13713C500436.jpeg
    E741BAD9-B4DA-4F81-BC55-13713C500436.jpeg
    603.7 KB · Views: 23
I've read through this thread, and you've gotten some great advice! I like all the adjustments you've made! 1 thing I do have to add, as I started out with a prefab, is you need to polyurethane (or some sort of sealant) that entire coop, roof included! The roofing will start to curl and bow, and that "wood" will quickly start to deteriorate. Just my 2 cents. I hope you and your family enjoy your ladies and your new chicken life :D

I've read through this thread, and you've gotten some great advice! I like all the adjustments you've made! 1 thing I do have to add, as I started out with a prefab, is you need to polyurethane (or some sort of sealant) that entire coop, roof included! The roofing will start to curl and bow, and that "wood" will quickly start to deteriorate. Just my 2 cents. I hope you and your family enjoy your ladies and your new chicken life :D
Thanks! I did seal the all of the wood, didn’t think to do the roof. I’ll look into that! So far we are other than 1 being sick currently

I'm looking at this coop and run. How are you liking it?
So far it’s served us well. We’ll see how it does this winter. I ended up sealing all wood, caulking around most the metal joints and sprayed the roof with leak proof tar type stuff. I think all that’s helped overall, not much water gets in the coop. Run is still holding up well.

Back
Top Bottom