And I wouldn’t go by how flat or bumpy the combs are because, females can have bumpy combs and boys can have flat combs. And females can have flat combs And sometimes the boys can have bumpy so it’s kind of confusing. So definitely watch for them “standing tall” and showing a little dominance
Good to know! They are both very skittish and they both will stand tall if they see something, but otherwise don’t really stand tall often.
image.jpg
Here is a photo of #1(named Katsu) the way they stand is how they both stand. #2 (named Alfredo) is smaller and has always been very clingy to me and Katsu.

Good to know! They are both very skittish and they both will stand tall if they see something, but otherwise don’t really stand tall often.
Yes my Silkie girl & Mille d’uccle girl only stand tall when they also see something, so if they both don’t stand tall and only when they see something then they should be girls :)

Good to know! They are both very skittish and they both will stand tall if they see something, but otherwise don’t really stand tall often.View attachment 3070573 Here is a photo of #1(named Katsu) the way they stand is how they both stand. #2 (named Alfredo) is smaller and has always been very clingy to me and Katsu.
Oh, that’s how mine stands too so they both should be girls :)

Comb shape, isn't reliable either. Many of my U shaped combed chicks turned out female, combs stayed flat, or slightly bumpy. Posture, & behavior aren't great indicators all the time, you can get females that are more dominant, & have males that are more skittish/submissive.

Comb shape, & size varies, with both sexes, but usually there is a pretty consistent growth rate of combs of males. They tend to get more raised/larger as the chicks grow.

Personally I'd wait between 6-12 weeks, & see if there's any changes. It'll be more obvious once they hit 4-6 months old though.

Comb shape, isn't reliable either. Many of my U shaped combed chicks turned out female, combs stayed flat, or slightly bumpy. Posture, & behavior aren't great indicators all the time, you can get females that are more dominant, & have males that are more skittish/submissive.

Comb shape, & size varies, with both sexes, but usually there is a pretty consistent growth rate of combs of males. They tend to get more raised/larger as the chicks grow.

Personally I'd wait between 6-12 weeks, & see if there's any changes. It'll be more obvious once they hit 4-6 months old though.
From my and my friends Personal experience the “u” and “v” combs worked “v” female and u male ( but sometimes that could be wrong ) & my friend actually got some rooster silkies and they had no comb development at all. And some female silkies with big bumpy combs and turned out to be females, but yes silkies are extreamly confusing sometimes

From my and my friends Personal experience the “u” and “v” combs worked “v” female and u male ( but sometimes that could be wrong ) & my friend actually got some rooster silkies and they had no comb development at all. And some female silkies with big bumpy combs and turned out to be females, but yes silkies are extreamly confusing sometimes
Comb growth varies with each individual bird. I too have personal experience with Silkies, I raise/breed them. After awhile of raising them, sexing them doesn't become that difficult.

Back
Top Bottom