Unzipped but not hatching

Samfin

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2022
Hi everyone,
One of my chicks started pipping at about 6am yesterday morning, by 11am she had completely unzipped but nothing since, so that's about 22hrs of being unzipped without actually hatching. She's still alive, I can see her breathing and occasionally hear her peeping, although this is getting less and less, I'm now starting to feel it's time to intervene.
Humidity has been steady through lockdown at 70% (that's providing it's accurate). None of the others have pipped yet so if I open the incubator to get her out, it shouldn't be a problem.
Any advice is much appreciated,
Thanks

Hi everyone,
One of my chicks started pipping at about 6am yesterday morning, by 11am she had completely unzipped but nothing since, so that's about 22hrs of being unzipped without actually hatching. She's still alive, I can see her breathing and occasionally hear her peeping, although this is getting less and less, I'm now starting to feel it's time to intervene.
Humidity has been steady through lockdown at 70% (that's providing it's accurate). None of the others have pipped yet so if I open the incubator to get her out, it shouldn't be a problem.
Any advice is much appreciated,
Thanks
Are you certain she has pipped all the way around? How does the membrane look? A photo could help. Do you see any yawning or chewing motions with the beak?

She's out, I opened the incubator enough to get my hands in, quickly prised the egg slightly apart to discover a little of the shell/membrane was stuck to her, warm water and cotton wool and she's now drying off nicely, she looks exhausted but is moving around and making plenty of noise 🤣

Would like to say thanks to you both for replying, never had a chick just stop once fully zipped before but if the membrane was holding her inside then I suppose it was pulling on her feathers everytime she tried to push out. I'm so happy she's out now.
you did the right thing for sure! I had to do the same with my duckling, zipped halfway around and was stuck to a little bit of membrane pulling on her skin- she was fine in the end too-
Congrats on your little one!!

Back
Top Bottom