Update on broody bad mom

I occasionally get green eggs but not regularly. I get a lot of brown eggs. At least three a day. I never get white eggs aside from the duck eggs.
So that would be one Easter Egger and three that lay brown eggs.

I got a lot from TSC and a few from Farm and Home and a local grainery.
That means they should be breeds or mixes that commonly come from hatcheries, not the much wider variety of mixes that can come from someone's backyard flock.

The blue hen (looks gray) is probably a Sapphire Gem, which lays brown eggs.

The black hen could be a Black Australorp. They are fairly common, and lay brown eggs.

I think the one laying green eggs would be either the brown hen or the white one. If you find out which hen actually lays them, I'd love an update.

If the brown hen is the one who lays green eggs, she would probably be a Starlight Green Egger (sold by Hoovers Hatchery to many stores), or a similar hybrid from some other hatchery. If she is one of the brown layers, she is probably some kind of hatchery-specific mix. There many of those that go by many different names (Calico Princess, Gold Comet, and many others.)

The white hen could be a White Rock, or maybe an Amberlink, or a few other kinds of white chickens. Or she could be your Easter Egger (laying green eggs.)

Since you do not get any white eggs, then the white one is definitely not a White Leghorn.

Orpington sounds familiar so I'm thinking it's probably that. One is a total jerk and the other is fairly passive.
Then there is a good chance you do have Orpington roosters.

So that would be one Easter Egger and three that lay brown eggs.

That means they should be breeds or mixes that commonly come from hatcheries, not the much wider variety of mixes that can come from someone's backyard flock.

The blue hen (looks gray) is probably a Sapphire Gem, which lays brown eggs.

The black hen could be a Black Australorp. They are fairly common, and lay brown eggs.

I think the one laying green eggs would be either the brown hen or the white one. If you find out which hen actually lays them, I'd love an update.

If the brown hen is the one who lays green eggs, she would probably be a Starlight Green Egger (sold by Hoovers Hatchery to many stores), or a similar hybrid from some other hatchery. If she is one of the brown layers, she is probably some kind of hatchery-specific mix. There many of those that go by many different names (Calico Princess, Gold Comet, and many others.)

The white hen could be a White Rock, or maybe an Amberlink, or a few other kinds of white chickens. Or she could be your Easter Egger (laying green eggs.)

Since you do not get any white eggs, then the white one is definitely not a White Leghorn.

Then there is a good chance you do have Orpington roosters
All of those sound like breeds I've bought before. The Sapphire Gem and the Black Australorp I completely agree.

The other two I'm almost positive the brown one is the Starlight Green Egger because I know for sure the white one lays brown eggs as she is the BBBM and there were never any green eggs in her nest. It would also explain why we don't get a lot of green eggs because I think the brown one is one of our younger chickens and probably hasn't hit full laying ability yet.

Thank you!

What color eggs do they lay? Even if you don't know which hen lays which color, knowing a total count can be helpful (as in, you never get more than __ white or __ brown or ___ blue/green eggs in a given day.)

That will probably help with figuring out the breeds.

Where did you buy them? From a store or from someone selling chicks out of their home?

For the roosters, I'm thinking Isabella color or Lavender with leakage, breed maybe Orpington. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone else will set me straight.
I agree with the Isabelle Orpington. I bought several from someone who breeds the older English Orpington lines and they looked exactly like these.

I agree with the Isabelle Orpington. I bought several from someone who breeds the older English Orpington lines and they looked exactly like these.
They just confuse me because they're either full out jerks, or totally passive whatever guys. I don't know how they can be so different. Maybe it's an alpha beta thing.

All of those sound like breeds I've bought before. The Sapphire Gem and the Black Australorp I completely agree.

The other two I'm almost positive the brown one is the Starlight Green Egger because I know for sure the white one lays brown eggs as she is the BBBM and there were never any green eggs in her nest. It would also explain why we don't get a lot of green eggs because I think the brown one is one of our younger chickens and probably hasn't hit full laying ability yet.

Thank you!
I'm glad I could help figure it out :)

Back
Top Bottom