samzoost

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2018
Hello all!

I'm buying 4 week old chicks this Saturday, and I want to make sure I have everything ready to make sure they're stress free and happy when they get home.
I've been seeing a lot about giving chicks apple cider vinegar/garlic/water in their waterer, and I was wondering:
1. Why? and 2. For how long should I provide the mixture for them?

I also need some info on the breeds I'm purchasing. I am in south-eastern Minnesota. I am getting one Rhode Island Red (I heard they can be mean?), a Sapphire Gem, a Buff Brahma, and I can't decide between an Easter Egger or a Salmon Faverolle. Which would be better for my climate? I heard Easter Eggers suck at winter laying, and Salmon Faverolles are nicer. I also think a Salmon Faverolle would be better at providing more body warmth for the cold winter months when they're snuggling together in the coop. But Easter Eggers have those dang cool blue eggs! I'd love to hear input from those of you who have owned Salmons and Easters!!

Thanks have a great Monday, y'all! :)

Salmons are very sweet but because of that can be picked on a lot in a mixed flock especially with Rhode Island Reds which do tend to be more on the mean/aggressive side. That doesn't mean the one you are getting is guaranteed to be mean.

As far as Easter Eggers go you may not get blue eggs, you can get tan, brown, pink, green, cream. So if the color is your only reason you may be disappointed. If it were me I wouldn't get the RIR and instead get both the EE and Salmon. Both breeds are so cute and have great personalities.

If you are worried about the cold you want breeds with smaller combs like pea combs or rose combs. They tend to do better in the cold.

Pullets will usual lay in the winter of their first year but after that most chickens will not lay at all or very little in the winter because they are molting. Certain breeds like production and sex links tend to lay more in the winter but they also tend to die sooner so that is a choice you would have to make.

Sapphire Gems are new this year so we don't really know a lot about them. Mine just hit 20 weeks and they are very sweet. They started laying at 16 weeks and they lay brown eggs. Make sure you get one without a head spot!! White/Yellow head spot means it is a male.

Good luck with your babies! Be sure to post lots of pictures of them. They grow up quick.

Welcome! I agree with PP that a RIR and a Favorelle might be a bad mix, although it's a very individual thing, guessing personality. I like the Favorelles, and EEs, and don't know about the Sapphire Gems.
Plain fresh water is best! Adding vinegar of any sort is not an improvement, regardless of all those internet testimonials that you've found.
Mary

You can add vinegar if you want, though only if using a plastic/glass waterer as it will corrode metal. I gave some to my first chicks but haven't used it since - can't say it made any difference for me. I think it's better to give them some chick or poultry vitamins for a boost to get them over the stressful first few days at their new home. For my latest batch of chicks I found a powdered electrolyte/vitamin/probiotic mix at a feed store and gave that for about a week. I had a chick that was unsteady and a little lethargic and she perked up with the vitamin water.

For breeds, I agree that if cold/frostbite is a concern, it's better to go with birds with smaller combs, like pea combs. Of the breeds you're considering I've only had EEs. They're fun in that they can come in almost any color pattern and the eggs can come in a variety of colors, so even if you get 4 its possible they grow up to look different and lay different. And I find them to be good natured, easygoing birds. No matter the breed there's a good chance you won't get any eggs in winter past their first year, which is why a lot of people like to stagger the ages of their chickens, to keep eggs coming.

Don't worry about birds needing to huddle for heat in winter. They each come with a down coat. As long as their coop is dry and well ventilated but not drafty, they'll do fine.

I love apple cider vinegar, I clean the water then put a drop or two in and add water , I use it because it’s good for their digestion and ours,and helps stop moulding.

My personal feelings about ACV is to be very conservative. A drop or two as suggested by @snow5164 sounds like a good idea. But most people suggest much more than that.

Vinegar is powerful, and I think we may be over-treating our chickens when we constantly add something to their water. But a drop or two could be gently beneficial.

I love the above posts, both very good. And I agree...I currently have each of those breeds except a RIR. I've had one before and she was definitely domineering (though not mean). I won't get one again though. You'll get lots of brown eggs, and hopefully colored eggs with the EE. Let us know, and post pics of your chosen ones! :)

Back
Top Bottom