Visited a "barn auction" today for the first time... wow.

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
I really am a city girl, born and raised in the suburbs. And boy did it show today! I stopped by a weekly barn auction in the town next to us to get a feel for how things worked. I plan on getting our chickens there next weekend.

I think I was stunned when I heard the auctioneer. Reminded me of the Kentucky Derby announcers as the horses run neck and neck. You can barely understand 'em they talk so fast.

I think I'd best really familiarize myself with the visual aspects of the breeds I want, because they didn't seem to be announcing what they were selling. They just kept moving on to the next cage number and so on.

It was like a whole different world. I was quite obviously the curious "outsider".
smile.png
But I think I'm really going to enjoy it all.

How many of you felt the "whoa" or "wow" factor when you first got into chickens?

LOL--we went our first one last year...I know we stuck out!
smile.png
We were trying to keep up with the auctioneer...kept having to ask people around us what he said...lol

I had that wow factor last year when we got our first rooster. WOW! what in the world am I to do with this thing!?
Cannot imagine going somewhere like an auction! I'd buy it all just because I'd want to hear the auctioneer keep goin.
lol.png

Never bought mine at auction, so not quite my reaction to chickens....but to an auction? YeS!!! They talk so fast that I could never bid on anything without feeling like I'd made a big mistake!

Ever notice there aren't many female auctioneers? And they say WE talk alot....
roll.png

I am HORRIBLE at understanding accents let alone someone talking at the speed of light. If I ever go to an auction I will definitely bring an interpreter to do my bidding.
roll.png

Point taken about the nose scratching! I'll try to refrain.

You're right.... I've never once seen a female auctioneer. But you know? I've rarely seen a male car model either!
smile.png
Those ladies could probably give the auctioneers a run for their money.

I could kind of keep up with what he was saying. I could hear "A-dollah-dollah-dollah-doIheartwodollahs-twodollahs-twodollahs". Lord knows what I will come home with next Saturday!
lol.png
I'll post pictures of whatever they are!

Last edited:
Hi Cass!
That sounds like fun.
I'd recommend not buying your first chickens that way, tho.
If you look around a bit, I'm sure you can find an individual that has chickens for sale and you can actually look at the chickens before you commit to buying.
I don't know if it is the case everywhere, but there is the potential to bring home all manner of 'creeping-cruds' from auction birds.
At least, if you can see the birds before you buy them, you can rule out 'obviously' not healthy ones.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

you best bet is to go early as the owners are bringing them in.that way you can see the birds and get thier cage number.
the guys at mine are so use to me now i help write whats in each cage when they get alot at once.
wich slowly helps me get the ones i want,i have been looking for an adult frizzle or sizzle and got a nice pair last week.
Not to mention the beutiful Speckle Sussexs i got months ago.
Now im looking for Chocolate wyandotte and/or Orpingtons.
So so far i have been realy lucky and i check em over before i even bid.

LOL, I go to the RFD channel and listen to the cattle auctions! I love it...almost like music.. The only way I keep up w/ it is to read the screen.. But I love auctions...Dixie

Back
Top Bottom