Visited a "barn auction" today for the first time... wow.

I went to a local auction and I got two good brahma but I also got two black astrolorpes which were sick!!!!!! I did not know it until the next day when they were sneezing and sick. They quickly gave it to my new golden comet and buff opp. I had to get rid of the 4. I cried. Thank goodness the brahma did not get it.
So be warned. Isolate your new birds from each other the minute you get them. Keep isolated for at least two weeks, some people say a month. I had already named my ladies which made it even harder.
The auction was fun though. I think I would love to go back just for the entertainment. I've never seen so many different kinds of bantams and beautiful pheasants. Jean

Quote:
LOL
lau.gif
Men will be men.

Be careful as to what you buy at auction. They could have a # of sicknesses. To bad you can't get some eggs and hatch your own. But like the other person said "don't scratch your nose and definately not your head.

I used to work in a company exclusively made up of auctioneers. There are a few women out there in the field but it's SUCH a good ol' boys' network that any women auctioneers are treated like "little ladies". It's pretty awful and very sexist. I was shocked to see that those attitudes are perpetuated in today's world. They prided themselves on being the buys who sold used cars to used car salesmen, if that gives you an idea of their scruples.

To this day I still cannot attend an auction, whether it be a barn auction or a charity one. <shudder>

Before you buy chickens, make sure you are REALLY familiar with the signs of sick birds. There are so many sick birds at auctions and swap meets, and many get sick from the others. It might be preferable to see lots of chickens at auctions and get a sense of what you like/want, then purchase the birds for your flock from a farm where you can see the conditions in which they were raised.

Last edited:
We have a weekly auction in my area, but I either try to get something before it goes 'on the block', or buy from the people lined up along the drive, who are trying to get more for their animals, before putting them up. I always isolate mine though, and give them sulmet for a few days after bringing them home. I have been pretty lucky so far, the only ones I have lost were probably due to overcrowded cages more than anything. But they are fun, and interesting! (I am never prepared to bring more chickens home!!)

Quote:
gig.gif
I saw someone do that once. No joking...the lady bought a bull. Funny thing about it...she was there for a calf.

Quote:
gig.gif
I saw someone do that once. No joking...the lady bought a bull. Funny thing about it...she was there for a calf.

My dad used to take me to livestock auctions when I was little. He would have me sit on my hands!
gig.gif

Thats why I like the auctions where you have to hold up your number to be recognized, you can scratch all you want.
I was lost when I first went to auctions, but the people there that go all the time really helped me out.
Just ask people around you what to do and I am sure they will help.
I go to a weekly auction every week now and its always the same people there, like a group of friends hanging out.

Quote:
That's the way the one near me is also. The thing I don't like about it is you have to buy the whole lot. Most everyone has roos now, and I sure don't need to add 10 more roos to the mix!! I found some OEG roos one time, a cage of 12, and I waited till someone else bought the lot, then talked them out of 1!!

Aw heck, you'll get used to it after a while! LOL Yall are kinda funny to watch though, I usually try to sit by the city folk so I can help 'em out, I know its gotta be kinda confusin at first. I've been goin since I was a little kid, so I understand 'em fine.

Oh, and its true what they say about scratchin... Dont even think about movin unless ya want to buy somethin!

Last edited:
Not to be negative but if it is the auction I think you are talking about, I wouldn't buy from it. I got sick chicks that ended up dying within a week & the others that were supposedly purebred were not, they were a mix! Even thought they turned out healthy & very pretty. It sure turned me off to chickens auctions, just like the horse ones! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom