Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I posted a while ago about one of my hens that I thought could be a rooster. Everyone who answered my post seemed to think hen. Then she started making this crazy crowing sound so I thought she is a he. The other two hens have since started laying, and Crazy Scarlett has begun squatting consistently when I go to pick her up. She is incredibly loud and starts early in the morning and squawks and screams throughout the day. No such noises from the other two hens, just a little muttering before and after laying. I check for eggs from Scarlett when she starts the noise but nothing. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rehome her to the country before the neighbors revolt. Here is what she sounds like:
Have you checked with the neighbors? I got rid of one a long time ago in a different place... and after a couple weeks, my neighbor came, knocked on my door, wondering what had happened to my chickens, 'cause she missed the sound, thought it was soothing. You never know. Besides, if you get rid of Ms. "Stand-in-Rooster" Scarlett, you might just find the next lady down in the pecking order taking over the position. Whenever I've been roosterless, there's always been "that one, the bossy, noisy one"... Just been my experience...

tammyfarms, Glad I ran into you here! I'm not here often, but they say timing is everything. Bye Tammy
frow.gif

Carolyn, I was sort of following the conversation about vaccine, but didn't realize Marec's was being discussed. Thanks for the info. Some folks say the vaccinated chicken is not a carrier, and some say it can be. I so regret having the first chicks vaccinated. I really don't wan't to do these babies, but don't want to lose them either. I've never hatched before and these guys are really special.
Thanks, Vicki
P.s. I'm just west of Ellensburg. Thanks again!

tammyfarms, Glad I ran into you here! I'm not here often, but they say timing is everything. Bye Tammy
frow.gif
Carolyn, I was sort of following the conversation about vaccine, but didn't realize Marec's was being discussed. Thanks for the info. Some folks say the vaccinated chicken is not a carrier, and some say it can be. I so regret having the first chicks vaccinated. I really don't wan't to do these babies, but don't want to lose them either. I've never hatched before and these guys are really special. Thanks, Vicki P.s. I'm just west of Ellensburg. Thanks again!
When I first started I had vac ones than the next year hatched out eggs and I never had a problem with it. I don't vac but I also don't show.

I posted a while ago about one of my hens that I thought could be a rooster. Everyone who answered my post seemed to think hen. Then she started making this crazy crowing sound so I thought she is a he. The other two hens have since started laying, and Crazy Scarlett has begun squatting consistently when I go to pick her up. She is incredibly loud and starts early in the morning and squawks and screams throughout the day. No such noises from the other two hens, just a little muttering before and after laying. I check for eggs from Scarlett when she starts the noise but nothing. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rehome her to the country before the neighbors revolt. Here is what she sounds like:

Oh that is mild compared to some of mine. They scream as loud as they can, and when that isn't enough they go get under the awning where it echoes to make it louder. It's all Bawwwwk Baaabaaabawwwwkkkkk baabaawwwk. I've had them keep it up for half an hour or more. Some hens are just very loud.

Quote:
The German Shepherd Dog forum has a lot of info their specific growth and don't recommend spaying/neutering until age 2 to make sure they are done growing. I think I'll follow their recommendations for any large dogs. Zeus our Aussie/heeler mix is 50 pounds if he's been hitting the catfood, but we had to wait until he was a year and a half to neuter him, since he broke his leg bad as a 4 month old puppy and the vet wanted as much growth out of the leg as possible. With his temperament, we really didn't need to get him done. He's always been a sweet little cuddle bug.

My Pit/Rott mix had to be fixed around five months old or they would have taken her back.

Shelters have their own rules we have to play by. Shelter Zeus came from didn't require that he be neutered. They are an odd shelter on that. They'd have refunded $50 of his adoption fee if we had it done in three months of getting him.

Good morning everyone! Hope you have a great day!

Totalcolor, a friend here has 3 English Mastiffs and they are the sweetest dogs ever! Congrats on your new fur baby!

Congrats on your fur baby! I'm new here and on the west hill of Kent, I should be signing on a house in Federal Way here soon and can't wait to get a couple hens.

Zgoatlady,
Thank you! I was hoping to hear a response like yours. I hope I have equal luck mixing non vaccinated birds with the vaccinated ones, because that's what I was planning to do. I haven't heard any horror stories on this yet, so for now I'm going with that. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom