Water belly? Sick chicken with pics

MizCairo

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2020
Listless. Eyes closed mostly. Head floppy, can't lift head. No outward injury I can see.
1000037610.jpg
1000037609.jpg
1000037608.jpg
1000037612.jpg
1000037611.jpg

Is that egg yoke on her butt? She may be egg bound or part of an egg stuck inside her still. If that's what that is, you need to give her major calcium pronto. If you have any calcium pills, give her one. Just get her a little more active, open her mouth and put it in. A warm bath might get her more alert to take the pill.

If you have no calcium pills, but have TUMS, crush one up into some mash made with water and her pellets/crumbles. Make it a small amt so she gets the whole thing.

Is that egg yoke on her butt? She may be egg bound or part of an egg stuck inside her still. If that's what that is, you need to give her major calcium pronto. If you have any calcium pills, give her one. Just get her a little more active, open her mouth and put it in. A warm bath might get her more alert to take the pill.

If you have no calcium pills, but have TUMS, crush one up into some mash made with water and her pellets/crumbles. Make it a small amt so she gets the whole thing.
Thank you. She passed. I'm glad to know what to do for next time. She was warm, safe, and peaceful. Livestock ,yes. But they all have names here too. I still gave her a bath and cleaned her up nicely. I'm in the middle of an unwanted divorce so my tears are just flowing!! Ugh. Dang birds. Appreciate your advice

I’m afraid to say, it may be too late for calcium pills, she may have gone to far,
You could try as Epsom salt Bath, this will relieve her hugely, make sure it’s warm and let her soak, after try to dry her off best you can, then it’s important you give her some easy food, try soaking some mealworms and oats, this will help her get the oils back in her feathers. I hope this helps. Wish you and your hen

Thank you. She passed. I'm glad to know what to do for next time. She was warm, safe, and peaceful. Livestock ,yes. But they all have names here too. I still gave her a bath and cleaned her up nicely. I'm in the middle of an unwanted divorce so my tears are just flowing!! Ugh. Dang birds. Appreciate your advice
I’m sorry we were to late.

I’m sorry we were to late.
It happened very suddenly. I have been very busy and may have missed something earlier, but it was just yesterday evening we found her like this. I have already bleached and cleaned out all shared water and will do more tomorrow just in case. Who knows, but it was probably time anyway to get that sort of cleaning done :)

Back
Top Bottom