weak cockerel with posible respiratory illness help me to diagnose it, please

beautifulchick

Songster
May 12, 2024
Hi everyone! I hope you can help me with my bantam cockerel, he is 11 months old and is getting weaker everyday.
Weather:
- Spring 30°C (hot), this month there were very bad quality air because there are fires around the town.
Symptons:
a) open his beak like something is dificult to pass. 1st sympton since around 2 months ago but increasing slowly and now is very often
b) shaking his head
c) scratching his ears
, lately seems like is scratching his neck but I don't know if it's only because is weak and can't reach his ear sometimes.
d) go to sleep at 4pm
e) letargic, takes snaps in the day sometimes alone, sometimes besides the pullets
f) earwax (very little) it used to have a ligth smell almost imperceptible, but now I don't smell it
g) he eats just a little since 3 days ago, and today I didn't saw him drink water, so I give him vitamins with water in his beak
h) sometimes he makes a sound like a cuack, it's not always the same sound and sadly I've never witnessed that moment because he just make those sounds a few times a day.
i) I've notice him sneezing very ligthly a few times past week but not lately.
j) the back and upper part of his comb is blue/purple in the morning, around 3 days ago was like that almost all day and it was a hot day, only became full red when he was in the sun.
k) few and little poop usually green maybe because he is not eating too much, sometimes his urates were watery and with some bubbles and today it was like grilled cheese(?)
l) I saw a bit of mucus in their beak, and sometimes I see him like he is murmuring, I think it's related.
He used to do a, c and b in that order and since yesterday a) is made alone more than b and c
Feed
- Grower feed and grains, since a week ago he is almost not touching the grower feed and eating mostly grains, I've gave him eggs, meat and fruits because of that. He forage in the backyard so he eats grass too and maybe some bugs, or maybe not because everything he give them to pullets.
Leave him only with the grower feed is not an option because I don't trust any place here where I buy the feed.
Another information
- Coop/run? No, he free range in the backyard.
- Wormed? yes, September 11 his 2nd dose of praziquantel
- Odor from beak? No
- Ulcer or wound? No, as long as I can notice
- Swollen? No, as long as I can notice
- Runny nose? No, as long as I can notice
- Eye discharge? No
- I have another rooster with a,b,c,f symptons that doesn't share the same space, however he was with symptons before this cockerel and that time I just cleaned his ears with wet cotton and a bit of hydrogen peroxide because I thinked it was only an ear infection and I thinked he was cured, because I didn't see any symptons in a week but later the symptons came back then I cleaned his ears with wet cotton only and gave him enrofloxacine 10% and nothing changed, that was I keep cleaning his ears sometimes because they are in dirt and I thinked it was the dust maybe, only one ear has smell, however he does not look letargic, he was the last one before the symptons and now is the alfa in his run.
- Past sunday I notice his flock is opening their beak, scratching their ear, sneezing and shaking his head sometimes, mostly is scratching their ear, I notice only because I was almost all day watching them because they just made it twice, no sign of earwax on them.
Treatments:
I made a treatment with antiinflamatory, antibacterial, antimicotic eardrops, when I thinked it was only ear infection in early september for 5 days.
Previous illness
When I get him in February he ran a little and was breathing like he ran 100mts, it was very concerning, he has learning to sing and his singing it was very raspy and sometimes his voice dissapeared, sometimes their breathing was awful in the
nights, I gave him enrofloxacine 10% but nothing happened, all this symptons dissapear in May just by itself, I supposed it was a virus. I worm him in february too because he had roundworms.
Vet is not an option.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
here is poop from 23 and 29 this month

Attachments

• poop_20240923_125421_1.jpg
    poop_20240923_125421_1.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 1
  • pop_20240929_145103.jpg
    pop_20240929_145103.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 1
Can you get Tylosin or Tiamulin (Denagard) in Bolivia, to offer treatment for possible mycoplasma (MG?) Enrofloxacin is a very good antibiotic for gram positive and gram negative bacteria in chickens, but if I saw another outbreak of respiratory disease, I might try one of the two drugs above specifically for MG. In addition to treating MG, Tylosin also can treat some types of intestinal infections. In another thread you said that you could get albendazole wormer, and that would be the best wormer for most chicken worms. Dawg53 saw tapeworms in your pictures in that thread, and the praziquantel is perfect for treating those, but you may also need to treat occasionally for the normal chicken worms that albendazole gets.

When treating an ear infection, the hydrogen peroxide can be used to irrigate the ear, and when dry, an antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin may be used in the ear canal. The miteacide my be helpful as well. When you are dealing with a chronic respiratory disease, you may see a breakout whenever a chicken is stressed, such as molting, overcrowding, or during extreme weather.

If I had illness in my flock, I would close the flock to new birds, and let those birds eventually die off, but treat them for illness. Starting fresh with healthy baby chicks someday would be the best thing to do. Having sick birds is extremely expensive and time consuming. It also can spread disease to other nearby flocks through the air and wild birds. With your location, it may be the best you can do. Some good plain yogurt with live cultures can bring some probiotics to your birds following antibiotic treatment.

Can you get Tylosin or Tiamulin (Denagard) in Bolivia, to offer treatment for possible mycoplasma (MG?) Enrofloxacin is a very good antibiotic for gram positive and gram negative bacteria in chickens, but if I saw another outbreak of respiratory disease, I might try one of the two drugs above specifically for MG. In addition to treating MG, Tylosin also can treat some types of intestinal infections. In another thread you said that you could get albendazole wormer, and that would be the best wormer for most chicken worms. Dawg53 saw tapeworms in your pictures in that thread, and the praziquantel is perfect for treating those, but you may also need to treat occasionally for the normal chicken worms that albendazole gets.
Acording to a goverment website there are veterinarian drugs containing tylosin in the country however, some of them says is for pigs, I don't know if I would find where I live though, in case I find that only for pigs, can I use it for chickens? in case I don't find them where I live I will go with the enrofloxacine I have. The albendazol I can get it's for humans, it could be the same? I've read excipients can change and they are not disclosed. I just hope there is stock because sometimes is not updated.
When treating an ear infection, the hydrogen peroxide can be used to irrigate the ear, and when dry, an antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin may be used in the ear canal. The miteacide my be helpful as well. When you are dealing with a chronic respiratory disease, you may see a breakout whenever a chicken is stressed, such as molting, overcrowding, or during extreme weather.
I had a triple antibiotic ointment for humans but I was afraid to used it, that's why I've got the eardrops but didn't work, maybe I did it wrong, I'll never know.
Hot weather, strong winds and bad quality air because fires may have stressed the chickens or maybe has spread the disease to my backyard, or maybe the wild birds, however the wild birds look healthy :idunno.
If I had illness in my flock, I would close the flock to new birds, and let those birds eventually die off, but treat them for illness. Starting fresh with healthy baby chicks someday would be the best thing to do. Having sick birds is extremely expensive and time consuming. It also can spread disease to other nearby flocks through the air and wild birds. With your location, it may be the best you can do. Some good plain yogurt with live cultures can bring some probiotics to your birds following antibiotic treatment.
There are no vaccinated bantam chicks here, there are informal markets with chicks and adult hens or roosters but they are not vaccinated, I only saw once a vet shop with 1month old chicks and they say they have their vaccines and that was years ago. But I agree it's time consuming and expensive, and another one for me, heartbreaking 💔
Thank you for the reply, I will update in the night if I could get the tylosin.

Triple antibiotic ointment for humans is okay to use. Tylosin for pigs would be the same as the one for chickens.
Albendazole is used for humans and animals. Knowing what dosage the tablets are will help in converting it to dosage for chickens. The kind we use in the US is Valbazen albendazole 113 mg per ml, but we should be able to give you a dosage using tablet form.

Back
Top Bottom