Tip for gardeners: when you're inspecting your plants for bugs, be sure to carry your chicken with you!
I was carrying one of my girls and I passed by my marigold patch. I saw a 'piece of chicken candy'(grasshopper) eating on a bud. I grasped the hopper, handed it to my pullet, and bye-bye garden mucher!! :gig

I've had a ton of these this year! I have to be careful where I walk, because I've been very close to stepping on some. A lot of them have probably been clobbered by the lawn mower. I try to move them either in the woods, or in my garden when I find one.
One year we had so many toadlets you couldn’t do anything to keep from stepping on or running them over, poor things. But that was over 10 years ago! I’ve hardly seen any toads this year and I’m thinking it’s due to the lack of junebugs.

The underside of a zig zag garden spider (rescue hen in the background)
357D0D82-5561-4808-ADE5-20A18C889405.jpeg

A very large grasshopper on my hibiscus, close to 2 inches long
610A36F9-2348-48CF-9117-1A5175D10B33.jpeg

Oh yes, I love Mimosa trees, to. Sadly that one got cut down 'cause it was too close to the house. She has another one, but something keeps eating it, stupid animals.
A weird tip, but if you collect cut hair from the barber or groomer and place it around your garden or any other plants you’d like to protect, it keeps most critters away!
Hair is compostable as well, but that’s certainly not for everybody :)

Last edited:
Finally was able to capture a photo of one of the thousand cicadas (Superb Dog Day Cicada) that’ve been all over our property this year! So pretty, and I love the noise they make.
69ACB586-E282-49C6-A833-48AD3B0398C3.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom