What did you do in the garden today?

A plastic or steel 55-gallon barrel works fine. No need to put anything over the top. A rat cannot jump out. Some feed or BOSS in the bottom. 20 gallon is tall enough for mice. A board for a ramp on the barrel helps.
I ended up with a 20 gallon metal trash can. Bought a 3" PVC remnant to put in the lid. It should work for both mice and rats...

I always leave volunteer tomatoes to grow where they choose - they always grow better. Yours look beautiful!
I'm going to see if any volunteers come up next spring where I grew tomatoes this year. A lot of what I grew fell to the ground so there should be opportunity for it to grow from seed next year.

Still picking a few tomatoes every day. Yesterday I picked the last of the pinto beans and the little butternut squash. I watered the big garden again today. It’s been so dry here that the water evaporates quickly. I picked 3 more okra pods this morning.
I never got around to counting the butternut squash until today... there are 9 on the vines. I just hope they all have time to mature.

I have 3 okra plants. They bloomed but never set pods unfortunately. Probably not hot enough here for okra.

I finally started to put fence around my garden. dogs (and cats?) out.
The feral cats have been stalking the wild birds under my feeders. I had a 36" barrier around most of it, but closed off the rest yesterday. The green mesh is about 15" I think.
1000053185.jpg

It's more of a discouragement than a fool-proof barrier, but it should slow down the cats enough to give the birds a better chance.

I never got around to counting the butternut squash until today... there are 9 on the vines. I just hope they all have time to mature.

I have 3 okra plants. They bloomed but never set pods unfortunately. Probably not hot enough here for okra.
I don’t think it’s the heat. They like a lot of sun. They produce here into October as long as they have plenty of sunshine.

Back
Top Bottom