What did you do in the garden today?

Speaking of tomato paste, that's what I've decided to make with most of the rest of my tomatoes this year. Seems pretty easy, but it just takes a long time.

Cut up whole tomatoes, cook them for a while and strain out seeds, stems and cores. Then reduce the juice down until you can scoop out a rounded spoonful. I'll reduce it on the stove for a while then transfer it to my Crockpot to finish. It'll be canned in 8oz jelly jars.
It will grow mold unless you use a pressure cooker with sealed lids.

I started the seed saving process for the three tomato varieties I'm going to plant next year.

The first was supposed to be a black krim tomato, but it made bright yellow fruits.

Second is from a plant that was supposed to be a Roma, but grew into a dwarf size plant with Roma shaped fruits.

Last is a volunteer tomato that made huge Roma type tomatoes. Its fruits are very meaty with little pulp. Should be good for canning.

The seeds and pulp need to rot for a few days until mold forms on top, then the seeds are rinsed clean and dried.

View attachment 3953107View attachment 3953108
Fermentation removes the gel from the seed. I put a lid and shake them once a day. If left too long they sprout.

I collected bean seeds to save. Sunflower seeds to save (tho the squirrels stole most of them). Picked sungolds, peppers & beans. Thinned carrots. Transferred some strawberries & their runners.

I mapped out the garden for next year because I need to start prepping for the garlic to go in.

Tomorrow I will tear out the beans & peppers.

Back
Top Bottom