What did you do in the garden today?

We survived yesterday’s heat of 94F and humid. The temperature today is supposed to hit 97F. Wah! I’m trying to get laundry done before I turn the AC units on. They’re getting a rest right now. I’m heading to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken and deli ham to make pasta salad. The only thing that gets cooked today and tomorrow is breakfast and pasta for the pasta salad. My air fried wings will have to wait. Only garden plans are to do a cooling, light watering mid day. Stay cool everyone.
You are better off leaving the AC units on low before it gets hot, than waiting and trying to cool things down. We used window units for a while here in the steamy South. It was actually cheaper to cool that way than use the old central air unit for the house.

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while, but my garden is looking decent:

Attachments

• tempImage3sHrC7.png
    tempImage3sHrC7.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 9
After my post about the bugs around here and I think, but not sure, it was WthrLady said that they were leaf hoppers. I found an all natural way to get rid of them. 2 cups of tomato leaves and water. Let it seep for 2 days and then spray it on the affected area and it will take them nasty buggers out. Now I have to get my tomato plants to get enough leaves.😁
Not I

This is my first time growing canteloupes, so that will be a new experience! But I LOVE canteloupes!
I've tried to grow cantaloupes before, probably 7 years ago. They died, whole plants, probably not enough water. This year I'm growing them and they appear to be thriving. Same with honeydew!
Mine are blooming and have started climbing the trellis!
View attachment 3866454
Those are watermelon plants in the back bed.
Beautiful!!!
My kale looks naked
So does mine! 😂 I harvested a ton of kale yesterday, now they look like palm trees.
OMG, bindweed, my arch nemesis.
I didn't even know.... But I have this weed ..... And I can't tell you how much I hate it!

I've tried to grow cantaloupes before, probably 7 years ago. They died, whole plants, probably not enough water. This year I'm growing them and they appear to be thriving. Same with honeydew!
I am watering mine everyday because it is in the Texas heat and in full sun most of the day, so constant watering keeps it alive.

So I got a lot done yesterday, but it was mostly chicken related. Some weird clouds rolled in and cooled it off to the low 80s and I finally got started on my second nesting box.
20240618_203048.jpg

I picked a ton of kale as well.
20240618_173410.jpg

@Smokerbill; kale trees.
20240618_203156.jpg

Apricots are almost ripe!! All of my trees are loaded with fruit this year. This pluot is a good example.

20240618_203359.jpg
And the grapes are trying to take over. I love it.
20240618_203424.jpg

Today will just be a watering day. Lots to do

Here's the most interesting new pepper I'm growing this year.

20240618_203255.jpg

My melons on the left, butternut on the right, watermelon on the ground in the middle, corn behind it all.
20240618_203139.jpg

The corn is officially taller than me. I added a soaker hose from harbor freight that I threaded through everything; working great!
20240618_203344.jpg

Let me tell you a story re predatory lenders.
I bought my husband a zero turn for Father’s Day. Neither are getting younger and it was taking us 2 days to cut the 2 acres w push - albeit great exercise - it was wearing out my bad knee- wanted for gardening etc.
Well, this predatory loan co called me and I thought I would give them business since I did get 0% finance for my fridge thru them.
So, she acts like they don’t know me - number 1. Number 2- I have to list off things in my house that are worth 5k (getting a repaired mower - not even new - not proud). All I could think is if I’m robbed in next month I will put them as number one bc I have NEVER had to do for this amount of money.
Anyway, after 30 min of this nonsense she comes to what they would offer (my score is 700 and I have flawless pay record).
$359 month for 26 months.
That’s right. They would loan me 5k but I would pay them, not in interest but tacked on this fee and that, almost 5k - over 9k by end.
I said no thanks and went to ACE where I qualified for zero percent financing and we got an upgrade - new one!!

I had not come across something so predatory b4. Did she think I can’t do math?
I called my state representative (who sits on a consumer protection committee AND has a background in banking before he became a Congressman) about predatory lending practices in regards to student loans. I have 2 kids in college at the moment. They don't qualify for ANY financial aid because of our income. The only way to cover their tuition at a REGULAR state university (we aren't talking Ivy League or anything) is to either get a private loan or have mom & dad pay for it. The kids have been receiving TONS of offers for private loans through the mail. One day I took a look at one of them... The interest rate was 259%!!!!!
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Tell me how that isn't predatory? Especially to a kid who has no concept of what it means to have regular bills to live, eat, and work... I can't imagine how badly this is going to break those kids who get suckered into it. Imagine that kind of interest rate on $100k by the time they graduate! 🤬

Needless to say, I am paying out an extra $1500 per month to cover their tuition from the bank of mom & dad.

I called my state representative (who sits on a consumer protection committee AND has a background in banking before he became a Congressman) about predatory lending practices in regards to student loans. I have 2 kids in college at the moment. They don't qualify for ANY financial aid because of our income. The only way to cover their tuition at a REGULAR state university (we aren't talking Ivy League or anything) is to either get a private loan or have mom & dad pay for it. The kids have been receiving TONS of offers for private loans through the mail. One day I took a look at one of them... The interest rate was 259%!!!!!
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Tell me how that isn't predatory? Especially to a kid who has no concept of what it means to have regular bills to live, eat, and work... I can't imagine how badly this is going to break those kids who get suckered into it. Imagine that kind of interest rate on $100k by the time they graduate! 🤬

Needless to say, I am paying out an extra $1500 per month to cover their tuition from the bank of mom & dad.
I went thru it w mine to. Almost thought or quitting work so they could qualify! They chose technical school.

How is that not predatory? The school loans?

Back
Top Bottom