What did you do in the garden today?

Picked beans and some small squash, I like it small. The bush beans are petering out, which is fine with me. I'll plant them again mid-July, along with squash. I'll be planting carrots, collards, and turnips early August.

IMG_20240620_174915734~2.jpg

I worked outside all day in this insane humidity. My hair looks like I'm half poodle.
BUT the shop is clean, the shop bathroom is clean. The tools are put away, the hay equipment is all greased and ready to go as soon as DH checks all the tires.
I let the little come out and play with the big girls today. After the initial hazing from the flock, they all hung out together all day long. We went out this evening to put them away, and they had already wandered back into the barn and hopped back up into their mini coop!!! I had to pull them out to band them, so it was jewelry for them too.
They're still too small, only 7 weeks, to sleep and play in the main coop. Those evening pecking order battles on the roosts are brutal.
Now we kick back and wait until the shearing team comes Sunday morning, and I'll clean out the barn then, and then mow the hay.
While that sits in the field drying, I'll stain the back concrete patio.

I have been making sour dough bread every day for about a month now and I am finally beginning to understand the process. I found that a 65% to 67% hydration dough is easier to work with than a higher one and most recipes uses a gram scale. I also figured out a way to get my dough out of my silicone banneton basket by lining it with a plastic film and brushing the plastic film with a non-stick oil spray.
This shaping video and sour dough recipe video are what has been working for me.
Have you made crackers from the leftover starter?

I worked outside all day in this insane humidity. My hair looks like I'm half poodle.
BUT the shop is clean, the shop bathroom is clean. The tools are put away, the hay equipment is all greased and ready to go as soon as DH checks all the tires.
I let the little come out and play with the big girls today. After the initial hazing from the flock, they all hung out together all day long. We went out this evening to put them away, and they had already wandered back into the barn and hopped back up into their mini coop!!! I had to pull them out to band them, so it was jewelry for them too.
They're still too small, only 7 weeks, to sleep and play in the main coop. Those evening pecking order battles on the roosts are brutal.
Now we kick back and wait until the shearing team comes Sunday morning, and I'll clean out the barn then, and then mow the hay.
While that sits in the field drying, I'll stain the back concrete patio.
Do you ever rest? 😂

Our cucumbers and zucchini are finally coming in, and we've got four crookneck squash ripening in our kitchen. The darn birds got to my blackberries before we did, but we were able to save these berries, and more are growing. 👍🏼 I'm excited to see the hard work of all the soil amendments and gardening, Finally starting to pay off!

Attachments

• PXL_20240620_233127044.jpg
    PXL_20240620_233127044.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240620_233010262~2.jpg
    PXL_20240620_233010262~2.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240617_183203331.jpg
    PXL_20240617_183203331.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240621_003352763~2.jpg
    PXL_20240621_003352763~2.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 1
I went out this morning with my husband because he had to go to Visalia to deliver a load. I checked for the eggs and nothing. This afternoon, late morning, I checked again and 2 eggs. Then I started hearing this God awful chicken sound, I thought WTF is going on. I went out and sat with my girls and Bernadebt came down from the coop. I came back inside and decided to go get taco truck. When I got back I thought oh wait I need to check the coop to see why my 13 week old EE was in the coop. She laid an egg. That smallest one is from Bernadebt
IMG_20240620_154840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom