What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. The heat wave is definitely over. I finally tried out my Ninja Air Fryer Oven last night. Just frozen french fries. They cooked up in less time than my little air fryer and did not require any oil at all. Today I will be making brownies in it. It really didn’t heat up the kitchen very much. Maybe 2 degrees. My peas survived the heat wave. I picked 1/2 pound yesterday and will likely pick more than that after I feed the chickens. We’ve had evening thunderstorms for the past 2 days and the garden is very happy. The squash plants are all doing well and the tomatoes and bean plants are looking good. I’ve been trying to find the Espoma organic fertilizer and their Berry tone fertilizer locally, but no luck finding any. I just ordered some from Amazon. My trip to TSC was ridiculous. They actually only had 1/2 of my order but did not adjust the charge on my credit card. I tried calling the store but no one, yes no one picked up the phone. Wah!I’m having a start to a better day so far, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

IMG_6875.jpeg

Yesterday’s picking. These weighed in at 9 ounces
IMG_6874.jpeg

One of my first butterfly bush in bloom

The only thing I did was pick cucumbers and marvel at this butternut squash vine that is taking over one side of garden 😮 it’s even growing in trellis where grow bags are - nothing in them yet. 🤔
But I can’t wait to taste that squash!
I also found a mouse in the coop! 😱 Will chickens kill them? They ran outside like - chickens 😢 😂

Oh - tomatoes almost ready!

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8111.jpeg
    IMG_8111.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 2
G’morning all. I watered in the front yard today, we went to the park to play ball with the dogs, had to call 911 to report a guy beating on his girl, did grocery shopping. Hubs went to get his hairs cut and get feed, I have to get the sous vide going for a steak to go in our salad for dinner and then we’re done for today. It’s muggy and cloudy, doesn’t seem as hot as it was yesterday at this time.

I hate that yall are itchy - if you don’t mind me asking- what are you spraying on yourself for bug control?
We’ve had luck w putting citronella in a diffuser- use on table if we’re sitting outside and spraying Tera shield. I’m not too proud to use Off either.
I was an idiot and was wearing shorts. Didn't spray myself with enough deet because it's the first time I've used it this year.

I usually use natural sprays. Especially if we're hiking or are out in the thick. Better for the ecosystem. But at Basecamp, before I hose myself off before bed, I will use the dry deep woods Off. To avoid this awful situation I'm in right now. 😭 I just want to scratch.... There are over 30 bites, I'm sure there are a few I'm not noticing because of the overall discomfort. Haha.

ETA: I've never thought to diffuse citronella oil. I'll have to try that. And I'll have to check out Tera Shield. No-see-ems are the absolute worst.

Also, at home, we repel bugs with the patio heater. That seems to be the ticket, but it ruins star gazing and isn't ideal on hot nights.

Last edited:
I was an idiot and was wearing shorts. Didn't spray myself with enough deet because it's the first time I've used it this year.

I usually use natural sprays. Especially if we're hiking or are out in the thick. Better for the ecosystem. But at Basecamp, before I hose myself off before bed, I will use the dry deep woods Off. To avoid this awful situation I'm in right now. 😭 I just want to scratch.... There are over 30 bites, I'm sure there are a few I'm not noticing because of the overall discomfort. Haha.

ETA: I've never thought to diffuse citronella oil. I'll have to try that. And I'll have to check out Tera Shield. No-see-ems are the absolute worst.

Also, at home, we repel bugs with the patio heater. That seems to be the ticket, but it ruins star gazing and isn't ideal on hot nights.
Someone bought me the diffuser or I wouldn’t have one! It’s chargeable and I love it!
The only thing the Tera shield doesn’t repel is those stupid horse flies! And I reapply as I’m working/sweating hard. I watch the mosquitoes land then take right off! Don’t know if cedar wood or what in it but they don’t like!!

The only thing I did was pick cucumbers and marvel at this butternut squash vine that is taking over one side of garden 😮 it’s even growing in trellis where grow bags are - nothing in them yet. 🤔
But I can’t wait to taste that squash!
I also found a mouse in the coop! 😱 Will chickens kill them? They ran outside like - chickens 😢 😂

Oh - tomatoes almost ready!
Looking amazing!!!!

I've never had such success with butternut squash as I have this year. I have two plants and I've never seen so many squash! They're loaded and still growing like crazy! A few years ago, I tried to grow and I only got one single squash.

Your chickens will likely kill and eat a mouse. Mine do, my MILs do, and my SILs do. I've found that if they can catch it, they will eat it! Mine hunt lizards and it's sad, but comical.

I would try to catch the mouse though. Where there's one, more will come.

Looking amazing!!!!

I've never had such success with butternut squash as I have this year. I have two plants and I've never seen so many squash! They're loaded and still growing like crazy! A few years ago, I tried to grow and I only got one single squash.

Your chickens will likely kill and eat a mouse. Mine do, my MILs do, and my SILs do. I've found that if they can catch it, they will eat it! Mine hunt lizards and it's sad, but comical.

I would try to catch the mouse though. Where there's one, more will come.
It must be the year for butternut squash ❤️
I’ve chastised my cats and they look at me funny bc they aren’t allowed in!
Definitely setting traps.
How did that mouse get by 7 cats!!!

I have been meaning to remember to share this book with you guys. It's my go to fruit tree, grapes, and berries pruning guide. My MIL uses it, and I've been using it for the last 10 years. I've had great success using this book and I still reference it every year. 20240511_091927.jpg

ETA: this is a new copy that I bought my friend for her birthday. Mine gets used outside. It's not pretty like this anymore. 🤣

Attachments

• 20240511_091954.jpg
    20240511_091954.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240511_091940.jpg
    20240511_091940.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240511_091959.jpg
    20240511_091959.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240511_092014.jpg
    20240511_092014.jpg