What did you do in the garden today?

I planted the squash in water bottle tops to help protect from borers. I hope I did that right.
I transplanted and pulled up tomatoes. We had some in different area that were too leggy and moved them. They didn’t survive so we begin again! In different area!

My cat hunted leaf hoppers and frogs as I worked.
One butternut I could get to! They are turning 😊

Attachments

• IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8136.jpeg
    IMG_8136.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7840.jpeg
    IMG_7840.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 74092812727__BBDB0DC0-EF8C-4F4D-AE2B-67C3D99E574F.jpeg
    74092812727__BBDB0DC0-EF8C-4F4D-AE2B-67C3D99E574F.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 3
I eat oatmeal for breakfast, more often than not. My cholesterol is high. I could do better with my diet, but I don't do too badly. I have to use a small dose of statins, unfortunately. My doctor says it's genetic for me. Fortunately, my good cholesterol is also high. I take Co-Q10 and a thioflavin supplement. I also use Ceylon cinnamon (good for blood sugar, too). I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I do love me some peanut butter. I'm not heavy and I'm very active (in the summer). Cholesterol is a tricky thing. You work out, regularly, Sally - so you've got that going for you. That's a huge factor in managing cholesterol.
I went 6 months having a bowl of freshly milled (flaked) oatmeal with breakfast, no mix-ins except a splash of cinnamon and a minute pinch of salt. Changing nothing else, my cholesterol went UP (it wasn't high to start with though) my body is so freaking weird!

I weeded two garden beds and sprayed neem oil for whatever is munching on the leaves. I didn’t make it up to the other gardens. Will do that tomorrow morning. My high cholesterol is genetic as well @Sammster and @Sally PB. High cholesterol issues are generally hereditary. Trans fats are evil because they destroy HDL. Oatmeal is very good at lowering your LDL / bad cholesterol. I have oatmeal 3 times a week, eggs and bacon, eggs and sausage or eggs and ham. The other days. I’ve also been taking fiber every morning for over a year. The cholesterol meds I take are very low dose. I also switched from margarine to butter years ago. Margarine is loaded with trans fats. Food labels are misleading. As long as there is less than 300 mg of trans fat in a product it can be labelled “zero trans fat.” That’s bad because trans fats accumulate in your body. I’m done, sorry back to gardening. The very happy news of my day is I finally have an apple developing on the Gala apple tree in my front yard. After 5 years. I haven’t taken a picture because I don’t want to scare it away. Lol!
My butternut squash and watermelon bed
IMG_6892.jpeg

My mixed tomato bed
IMG_6890.jpeg

I went 6 months having a bowl of freshly milled (flaked) oatmeal with breakfast, no mix-ins except a splash of cinnamon and a minute pinch of salt. Changing nothing else, my cholesterol went UP (it wasn't high to start with though) my body is so freaking weird!
By flaked, do you mean oatmeal flakes as in cold cereal or rolled oats that you cook?

foods to lower cholesterol," was oatmeal. Ok, something to start with.
Yes! Little known fact, rolled oats are lightly toasted for flavor before packaged (at least Quaker does this). Sometimes I’ll dry toast flaked oatmeal or steel cut oats in a pan before adding water to cook them. It enhances the flavor. And I’ve had it help remove a “green” kind of note from a bag of steel cut oats a few years ago -I’ll guess they might have been harvested a tad early. They weren’t bad or moldy, just a little bit of an unexpected note.

Can Cucurbita moschata pollinate/cross Cucurbita pepo (& vice versa)?

They should not cross pollinate between species (pepo vs moschata).

Apparently our bodies make cholesterol. This is one reason diet alone cannot lower cholesterol enough for some people. Even in the absence of eating cholesterol, our bodies produce it.

Yesterday was great. Some storms moved through with the cold front. I was 2hours south and we got spurts of rain and sprinkles, lots of clouds but not lightening. Husband told me it rained pretty good at home while I was gone. It was much cooler. Temps are typical summer temps today, no heat wave.

Garden has grown nicely. A couple of squash suddenly wilted-one summer type and one winter type -the other plants near these two are perfectly fine. They wilted and are dead. We left them in the ground for a couple of days in hopes that maybe they just got too dry (but didn’t think that was the case). Roots looked perfectly fine so I don’t know what happened.

Did the foliar feeding this morning. Everything seems to do well with early morning “vitamins” once every two weeks.

I need to plant carrots this week if any more are going in. The “great carrot experiment” that @Smokerbill and I tried, wasn’t very successful. So I’ll need to decide if I’m planting more or not- I have consistently found that I need to plant carrots before July 1 to be able to harvest useable sized carrots by mid-Oct.

Sweet potatoes are loving the heat -they are getting bushy or starting to vine (depending on variety). Yay!!

My only developed summer squash, so far. All the rest have suffered blossom-end-rot
1000006455.jpg

First time growing celery. Tiny but strong.
1000006453.jpg

Yellow, wax beans just starting.
1000006450.jpg

First time growing cosmos. I like it! The pink ones are probably 4' tall!
1000006442.jpg
1000006446.jpg

Attachments

• 1000006450.jpg
    1000006450.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom