What did you do in the garden today?

Looks like we're having the same day! Bindweed is part of the grumble here for years, though, nothing new. Pick squash--pull bindweed. Manage the hoophouse--while digging bindweed. Enjoy the dahlias--while bindweed blooms dramatically across the neighbor's barn in the background. Eat an apple off the tree...pretend not to notice the newest climber on the fence.

Sigh. I love my garden but bindweed is such a pain. Hope you can manage to dig up all the root before it becomes part of your forever cycle. If not...well. At least hummingbirds think it's great.
Sounds like my issues with honeysuckle and trumpet vine.

I need a blow torch...

It is def not the morning glory I grow on purpose on my fence. That stuff I can pull up & it doesn't come back, this stuff is relentless & the leaves are a different shape.

This is non-invasive morning glory, the leaves are heart shaped, the bindweed leaves are much less broad:
View attachment 3940373
My morning glories self-sow. I don't mind.
IMG_20240831_084631827~2.jpg

IMG_20240825_091322291_HDR~2.jpg

If they get too intrusive I just rip them up.

I watered today, thank goodness for @WthrLadys idea to use the bracelet or I would have left the water running all night. Again. :lau I'm too old, out of sight, out of mind these days.

I despise oregano. 😲

My sage is finally done. Took 2 days in the dehydrator. But that pint should last me a while.
View attachment 3940302
I make a lot of Mexican and Italian food. Oregano is essential.

I cleaned up the tomatoes too. 13 pounds worth...

Plus another handful from my dwarf Roma plant.

tomtomtoms.JPG IMG_4811.JPG

It's a season of tomato oddities here. First, the dwarf Roma plant. And today I just realized that one of my two Black Krim tomato plants is producing ripe, yellow fruits!

The tomatoes are the same shape as those on the other BK vine, but yellow, not deep red as they should be. Sorry, no pic at the moment. I ate one and it seemed to be low acid, too.

I pulled up two sowthistle, aka Puha, plants for the chooks. I've been letting them grow until they've set seed and were close to 3ft high.

MEDICINAL PROPERTIES
The plant is quite high in vitamins and minerals, making it a great tonic. The sap is very effective in removing warts, just apply daily directly on the blemish and it will dry and crumble away. I remember teaching this to a friend of mine and each time we went out to walk her dog we would find some sowthistle and apply to the wart. It took less than two weeks for it to disappear.

How to identify and use sowthistle, the perfect edible weed.

I pulled up two sowthistle, aka Puha, plants for the chooks. I've been letting them grow until they've set seed and were close to 3ft high.

MEDICINAL PROPERTIES
The plant is quite high in vitamins and minerals, making it a great tonic. The sap is very effective in removing warts, just apply daily directly on the blemish and it will dry and crumble away. I remember teaching this to a friend of mine and each time we went out to walk her dog we would find some sowthistle and apply to the wart. It took less than two weeks for it to disappear.

How to identify and use sowthistle, the perfect edible weed.
Thank you for sharing this with us. I have a bunch of sow thistle and thought it was just dandelion then I realized it was different than the dandelion so I thought it was just another annoying weed that needed to be extracted.

Back
Top Bottom