What did you do in the garden today?

I thought this was the Thai basil. Apparently not .. and I must get some.

What Is Holy Basil?​

Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum), is an aromatic flowering plant of the mint family that is native to India, found throughout Southeastern Asia. It is not the sweet basil leaves you put on your margarita pizza, or the Thai basil herb you use to garnish your pho! It is a different plant that is grown for religious purposes, essential oils, and its medicinal qualities as an adaptogen.

Within Ayurveda, tulsi is known as “The Incomparable One,” “Mother Medicine of Nature” and “The Queen of Herbs,” and is revered as an “elixir of life” that is without equal for both its medicinal and spiritual properties.1 Ayurveda is one of India’s traditional health care systems and one of the oldest medical systems in the world. Taking a holistic approach to health, Ayurveda encourages regular consumption of adaptogenic herbs that enhance the body’s capacity to maintain balance while being exposed to a range of stressors.

Holy Basil: Benefits, Uses, and Recipes
Thank you for the info. I am going to try to find a way of getting the essential oils from the holy basil and definitely going to start making some green tea for myself. I highly doubt anyone in my family would attempt to try it so it's all mine. I will do some research on how to harvest the seeds and then if you want I will happily mail some to you.

I was thinking about getting some starts going, but I think I’m going to wait one more week to see what the weather is going to do first. It cooled down to the upper 90’s but then went back to 110-117 consistently again.
I feel both of you. We cooled down to the low 80's, then went back to triple digits. We're supposed to be back in the upper 80's this up coming week but I have my doubts.

Thank you for the info. I am going to try to find a way of getting the essential oils from the holy basil and definitely going to start making some green tea for myself. I highly doubt anyone in my family would attempt to try it so it's all mine. I will do some research on how to harvest the seeds and then if you want I will happily mail some to you.
I graciously accept! Thank you! I would be also be keen on making the tea. I was making tea and healing wounds with plantain leaf not so long ago, now I have it growing in a big patch of garden... I love its bobbly flowers :)

My neighbor's husband got some pepper seeds from his family and he got the plants growing and they would bring them in the house every winter and put them back out in the Spring
That’s more or less what I’m trying to do, but I’ve never had any meaningful success. I’m going to try to keep them in a cooler room this year, see if that helps them stay dormant instead of die.

Back
Top Bottom