What did you do with your flock today?

I finished up the coop side wall of the run today, then got the front wall done as well. I might have to order some more hardware cloth. I used 23 feet from my 4 foot wide roll today just for the front wall. I still have one more wall to do, plus the skirting around the base. Money money money.

There are some gaps under the baseboard that I need to fill in. Probably just tack on some boards. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how my run is coming together. And I only drew blood from the hardware cloth 2 times today, so that wasn't too bad.

View attachment 3496792View attachment 3496793View attachment 3496794View attachment 3496795
Coming along nicely!

What is tongue tied, and how do you treat it?
So... I have no idea if it has an actual name, but tongued tied is when a chicken wrapped something (typically string like) around it's tongue and then swallowed the other end.
You end up with a chicken seemingly missing her tongue, and can't swallow.
IMG_20230315_183025.jpg

The solution (helpfully provided by someone on this form) is to have some one else hold the chicken, and then search around the chicken mouth to find the string, cut the line, and unwrap the tongue.
IMG_20230316_190937.jpg

These pictures are actually from the first time it happened.
The second time this happened (with a different chicken), the line had started to cut into her tongue, and it was much more difficult to find. Turns out that when the line is that tight, you have to scrunch up the chickens neck to make slack in the line to find the darn thing.

Today, the little girl was trying to eat my shirt, so I think she's feeling better. I'm waiting for her to have a healthy poop before I release her back to the flock.🤣

So... I have no idea if it has an actual name, but tongued tied is when a chicken wrapped something (typically string like) around it's tongue and then swallowed the other end.
View attachment 3497100

The solution (helpfully provided by someone on this form) is to have some one else hold the chicken, and then search around the chicken mouth to find the string, cut the line, and unwrap the tongue.
View attachment 3497104
The second time this happened (with a different chicken), the line had started to cut into her tongue, and it was much more difficult to find. Turns out that when the line is that tight, you have to scrunch up the chickens neck to make slack in the line to find the darn thing.

Today, the little girl was trying to eat my shirt, so I think she's feeling better. I'm waiting for her to have a healthy poop before I release her back to the flock.🤣
AMAZING!!!! ♡♡♡

View attachment 3497100

View attachment 3497104

Wow that sounds like an ordeal! Glad you both spotted it and were able to fix it!

Last edited:
Well, I had one hen trying to go broody a week ago. I didn't pull her and try to break her out of it...just kept taking the eggs. This hens my broodiest girl. She goes broody every time I blink it feels like. Fast forward to yesterday and I now have six hens all trying to brood 🫤. Oops. Good thing they're little birds and the parrot cage I use to break broodiest is huge. Today I'll be pulling them all out and letting them cool their tushies on the porch for a bit.
I wonder if some of the breeds that don't brood developed because people culled girls like this one? I might see if anyone wants her just because she'll end up spending half her life in a broody breaking cage here 😬.
I’ve read and been told that cemanis aren’t broody. I have two laying hens and four laying pullets, and every single one of them have been broody this year atleast once. I ran out of Cemani eggs to put under them, so I’m about to bless my little community with several barnyard mix chicks in about a week 🤣

I broke before they would 🥴

I believe you can move the eggs and them? Maybe? I've read that after they've set for a little, then transfer them to the brooding place, even a pet carrier, since she won't poop often, and would only eat/drink to survive. Are the eggs fertile? I've snuck in a couple extra on a broody that was on 4 eggs.
They eggs are fertile but they all roll out to where the girls can't set on them. They will have to be moved to a small coop and run for each and every hen that might go broody.

I have some mad hens 😂. The ladies all did their fluffiest best to convince me they're unmovable giants. They puffed out so much they looked like little frizzles as they made raptor sounds at me.
Wish I could think of a way to stop that hen from doing her thing without having to separate her. Maybe I need to come up with a belly band that holds cold water against her belly. Does anyone remember the neck scarfs filled with beads that soak up water? Maybe something like that. Soak it once a day and strap it on as a broody preventative. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom