What did you do with your flock today?

I think you're talking about trichinosis, and I've read that for the most part it's not a threat any more in commercial pork. I think it was more prevalent in the old days when most hogs were raised outdoors.

So no, I wasn't really worried about giving them the raw pork bone to peck on.
This is actually what I was wondering about. I don't know much about it...I heard about it from the news because someone had gotten one of those worms lodged in his brain. I've cooked pork very well ever since 🤣🤢

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/taeniasis/gen_info/faqs.html#:~:text=with tapeworm infection?-,What is taeniasis?,it is important seek treatment.

The Onyx saga continues. She perked up yesterday afternoon, went on her roost, chases after treats with the rest of the girls.looks a little better. Has anyone ever had a half molt? She is still not done yet.
The pullets are coming to get treats when I shake the container. One bravely roosted with the big girls on top of the coop frame, where they have been sleeping for a long time.
I've solved the issue of the big girls eating the pullets food, but now the pullets are able to get into the treadle feeder. The EEs are heavier than the leghorns. :heThe mixed flock feed has been in and out of stock, so think I need to go with another all flock type feed.
More mites have hatched, so dosed them with undiluted dead bug brew. :mad:
Hope you are enjoying your Sundays, and hope the moms are treated with love today.

The Onyx saga continues. She perked up yesterday afternoon, went on her roost, chases after treats with the rest of the girls.looks a little better. Has anyone ever had a half molt? She is still not done yet.
The pullets are coming to get treats when I shake the container. One bravely roosted with the big girls on top of the coop frame, where they have been sleeping for a long time.
I've solved the issue of the big girls eating the pullets food, but now the pullets are able to get into the treadle feeder. The EEs are heavier than the leghorns. :heThe mixed flock feed has been in and out of stock, so think I need to go with another all flock type feed.
More mites have hatched, so dosed them with undiluted dead bug brew. :mad:
Hope you are enjoying your Sundays, and hope the moms are treated with love today.
So glad she's having a good day and hope it continues ❤️

Hope mother's day is full of love for you too!

Happy Mothers Day GIF

Wanted to sneak in a Happy Mother’s Day to everyone! ❤️ Been crazy busy lately and hoping all is well with all of you!

Yesterday was the big Farm Expo. Things were a bit slower this year and I brought home way too many chicks I wanted to sell, but it was still fun. I also ended up having a friend buy me three olive eggers (two wheaten and 1 black) for my birthday (also yesterday), had another vendor give me two pure Ameraucana pullets for free, and I was asked to take the raffle prize birds that weren’t collected at the end of the day…2 bobwhite quail 🤪 So I’ll be selling birds for the next few months I think, 🤪 pretty sure I don’t have space for spastic bobwhites! 😆 They’re sure pretty though. 🥰

Attachments

• IMG_9060.jpeg
    IMG_9060.jpeg
    931.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 6
Woke up this morning and gathered the troops (my kiddo) to pull this out of the yard.
IMG_20240513_092248.jpg

IMG_20240513_092241.jpg

If y'all have it in your yard, it's silverleaf nightshade... And it's toxic. The flowers are typically purple, though they can be white, and the unripe berries are green with stripes. The ripe berries are yellow or orange.

I lost a few chickens when winter hit last year because all the green stuff died off, but the stupid nightshade hadn't.... So this year I know what it is, and get it kill it.

Let the chickens out afterwards, and they got a nice treat of old eggs and egg shells all squished up.

Otherwise I got to let out the momma hen to have some time teaching the chicks about life outside of my maternity ward. (Supervised, of course)
IMG_20240513_170415.jpg
IMG_20240513_170407.jpg

Back
Top Bottom