What did you do with your flock today?

I've been a bit distracted here...I have 3 pets aging fast this summer. My two 13 year old dogs and Oliver, my 14 year old cat. They were all doing well and suddenly Olivers losing weight and my gentle butterfly chaser, Iri, has developed lymphoma. We've pulled her through once now but I don't know how much longer she has. For now she's back to happy eyes and wagging tail. She has the most expressive eyes you ever saw ā¤ļø. The other is Fox, our old girl with a broken thyroid. She lost her thyroid when only half grown and I always thought we'd lose her first. She's grown old slowly whereas Oliver and Iri started the year doing great, but just like that they're starting to fail.

Losing one old darling at a time is hard...but with 3 making worry and Iri's time limited for certain ...I'm just feeling under the weather. I have a trip to visit my mom coming up and this time I don't want to go. Tami's staying home though and she'll handle any vet runs, injections or medicine as needed. With luck all 3 will still be here when I get home early July.

My babies in younger days.
Iri...View attachment 3866678
Fox...View attachment 3866679and Oliver....View attachment 3866680
Oh, this is just the hardest thing to face, isn't it? I really feel for you - and having to face losing 3 at once...šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
My cats are 15 now and some part of me worries every day about how long we might have left together. My mom lost her 14 yr old cat 2 months ago. The vet told her he might have chronic kidney disease as his creatine levels were slightly raised, the vet he saw 2 weeks later found a tumour the size of a golf ball and 3 weeks after that, despite treatment, it had grown to the size of an avocado. The only comfort to take from it was it was so swift in it's progress that he didn't suffer for too long. His passing has made me even more acutely aware of my pets' mortality.
You will have given your fur babies the most fantastic lives and all the love they could possibly hope for. Please try to remember that when those sad days inevitably come ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø.

(Many hugs too, my hugs emoji has disappeared)

No hernia or prolapse, ever. She is almost 2 years old, and lays the largest eggs of all the girls. I'll have to catch her and pop a calcium.
What breed is Onyx? Just curious as it can have some bearing on health issues. Are her eggs very large? My ex-batt, Maude, laid enormous eggs daily and towards the end of her laying career and was slowing down to every other day, she would be quite lethargic on her no egg day. In hybrid hens, with shorter lifespans combined with our push to breed for ever bigger eggs, egg-laying takes quite a toll on their little bodies.

Chicks are active at dusk, they don't want to go to bed! :lol:
IMG_20240619_202307443.jpg

The nest boxes are getting crowded, so I expect that the broodies will get those chicks up on the roost soon.
IMG_20240619_202142877~2.jpg

IMG_20240617_210803448.jpg

Speaking of the roost...Martha's been grumpy and Hannah's trying to go broody, and Zacchaeus is still trying to assimilate, so there's a bit of drama when the sun sets.

Oh, this is just the hardest thing to face, isn't it? I really feel for you - and having to face losing 3 at once...šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
My cats are 15 now and some part of me worries every day about how long we might have left together. My mom lost her 14 yr old cat 2 months ago. The vet told her he might have chronic kidney disease as his creatine levels were slightly raised, the vet he saw 2 weeks later found a tumour the size of a golf ball and 3 weeks after that, despite treatment, it had grown to the size of an avocado. The only comfort to take from it was it was so swift in it's progress that he didn't suffer for too long. His passing has made me even more acutely aware of my pets' mortality.
You will have given your fur babies the most fantastic lives and all the love they could possibly hope for. Please try to remember that when those sad days inevitably come ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø.

(Many hugs too, my hugs emoji has disappeared)
Thanks Shetland...I might have more time with Fox and Oliver yet...but this time is hitting me hard.

Chicks are active at dusk, they don't want to go to bed! :lol:
View attachment 3867539
The nest boxes are getting crowded, so I expect that the broodies will get those chicks up on the roost soon.
View attachment 3867540
View attachment 3867542

Speaking of the roost...Martha's been grumpy and Hannah's trying to go broody, and Zacchaeus is still trying to assimilate, so there's a bit of drama when the sun sets.
I want babies soooo bad! I'm happy to live vicariously through your little beauties though. Thank you so much for sharing ā¤ļø

What breed is Onyx? Just curious as it can have some bearing on health issues. Are her eggs very large? My ex-batt, Maude, laid enormous eggs daily and towards the end of her laying career and was slowing down to every other day, she would be quite lethargic on her no egg day. In hybrid hens, with shorter lifespans combined with our push to breed for ever bigger eggs, egg-laying takes quite a toll on their little bodies.
She is a mutt. Mom was cream legbar(dad) x BCM, dad was a Blue Sapphire Rock.

Back
Top Bottom