What do you think of my garden layout and some gardening questions I have

Lettuce will start bolting when it gets hot, but you could follow them with a different type of leafy green like chard, bok choi, or kale that’s more heat tolerant. (Bok choi will eventually bolt too, but I generally harvest the whole plant before it gets to that point.)

I've found bok choy to be far more bolt happy than lettuce, so I've only tried growing bok choy in early spring. Lettuce starts bolting maybe around 80F.

I've found bok choy to be far more bolt happy than lettuce, so I've only tried growing bok choy in early spring. Lettuce starts bolting maybe around 80F.
I think it depends on what variety you grow, as it does for so many other plants. Joi Choi is a hybrid variety that has worked well for me here in UT where summers and plenty hot and dry. I haven’t found a lettuce that I really like yet, though I keep trying. I’ve found some that are ok, but nothing fantastic.

I think it depends on what variety you grow, as it does for so many other plants. Joi Choi is a hybrid variety that has worked well for me here in UT where summers and plenty hot and dry. I haven’t found a lettuce that I really like yet, though I keep trying. I’ve found some that are ok, but nothing fantastic.
Makes sense... I so far haven't found a variety of bok choy that I'm satisfied with, but trying another variety this spring.

For lettuce, I get a mixed bag of lettuce seeds, which includes romaine types, butterheads, oak leafs, etc. Some are slower to bolt, others faster to mature, so I like that a single mixed packet gives me variety and more options if the weather is colder, warmer, drier, etc. than normal.

Makes sense... I so far haven't found a variety of bok choy that I'm satisfied with, but trying another variety this spring.

For lettuce, I get a mixed bag of lettuce seeds, which includes romaine types, butterheads, oak leafs, etc. Some are slower to bolt, others faster to mature, so I like that a single mixed packet gives me variety and more options if the weather is colder, warmer, drier, etc. than normal.
I’m trying butter lettuce, at my daughter’s request, and some varieties from a local store that are supposed to be well suited to the climate. 🤞🏼 We shall see . . .

I’m trying butter lettuce, at my daughter’s request, and some varieties from a local store that are supposed to be well suited to the climate. 🤞🏼 We shall see . . .
I am so happy to see so many younger gardeners learning and enjoying producing food and being connected to nature! It is a lifelong process that you never quit learning from and very much connects one with the local environment/weather. I grow several new varieties every year, along with my current or past favorites. Timing with the seasons and adjusting for the conditions is part of the song of life. Experimenting with varieties, techniques, and timing will keep you with endless adventures in gardening. With the attention rendered that is required, even a tiny garden can yield huge rewards, that goes beyond the produce harvested! Everybody will experience disappointments and great satisfaction as well. What works for some or in some areas , may not be the best for you or your area. If you stick with trying to improve, expand or just simplify your garden, you will eventually find what works for you. Seek out info for your county or parish, but always be willing to listen to what works in other areas as well. Chickens and gardens go together well! I use the litter to speed up and enrich my composting leaves and other plant waste. Tomato plants may need more space or effort, in a very tiny garden and I would not crowd them. I would limit it to two plants along the back of the 4 ft. garden. You can crowd up lettuce, radish and similar under the taller plants and thin as required. I have grown a tall tomato in the center of a 4 ft. sq. raised bed and planted all around it with other shorter or small plants. Have a great garden!

For lettuce, I get a mixed bag of lettuce seeds, which includes romaine types, butterheads, oak leafs, etc. Some are slower to bolt, others faster to mature, so I like that a single mixed packet gives me variety and more options if the weather is colder, warmer, drier, etc. than normal
That's what I do as well. In a great year, I get a spring and summer of tasty salads with a lot of variety, and in years that are too dry, wet, hot, cold, at least one or two do well, especially if I stagger the planting times.

Look up Square Foot Gardening. This is perfect for your situation. I did it out in Wyoming and got wonderful results. The garden gets really full, but you will maximize the amount of veggies that you can grow.

Basically, you look at you garden as 16 squares of 1' x 1'. Each plant has its own space requirements, so in 1 square foot, you can plant 4 lettuce plants, 9 spinach plants, 16 onions, 16 carrots, 8 sugar snap peas OR 1 pepper plant.

Would you be able to use a trellis to grow things vertically? Peas and pole beans are great in small areas because they will grow up not out. I used a nylon netting for my beans and peas.

Put your tomatoes on one of the edges so it can spread out beyond the edge of the garden. That way you can save "space" in the garden. Lettuce can be planted near the tomatoes because it is short and the tomato plant will not have anything growing in that "Space".

Think layering - kinda like sitting under a tree.
Thank you for the advice! I might try that! It sounds good!

I did not read the entire thread, so I apologize if the following things were already mentioned but it's just my one cent. Is there a reason you can only have one bed that size? Is it because you don't have time to do the extra work of a larger Garden? Or space constraints? I would say the indeterminate tomato and other tomatoes should be planted on the edge or maybe the corners because they get bigger and they could lean outward not taking up as much space they could hang over the edge. Also look up companion plantings. Also if your space is limited what about growing up on trellises. So many things can be grown up trellises including pumpkin squash cucumbers beans melons. If you protect the base of the plants with hardware cloth or something you could also plant viney type plants up the chicken run giving you more Garden space. In addition to that what about planting things in pots you could even plant carrots in a tall pot with loose enough, like sandy loamy Type.
Thank you! I did not mention this before, but I can only have one bed because of space constraints. I think I will change my plan and put the tomatoes on the edges or corners, like you said. Cucumbers could be fun to grow on trellis ed!

Back
Top Bottom