What do you think of my garden layout and some gardening questions I have

whether I should be using just fertilizer, just compost, or both? I understand the different between them more now, but I'm still confused which one I should be using or both. Is it possible to buy compost? Or can you only get it from making your own? Because if if I can't buy it then I probably can't use any compost this year as I don't compost.
You can use both. You can buy compost. Compost has a lot more to offer than just giving nutrients to the soil, like fertilizer does, though. It can help retain moisture and also help keep the soil cool when the weather gets hot in the summer.

If your soil has what it needs, there usually isn't any need for fertilizer.

Sorry, clicked on post reply before I was done.

Can you start a compost pile somewhere? Personally, I can't imagine NOT having a compost pile, because it's where I get rid of any vegetative waste from the kitchen, pulled weeds from the garden, coffee grounds, tea bags, grass clippings, raked up leaves, and chicken poop. Put it all in a pile, and in a few months' time, it is black gold for your garden. For free.

If you want to start composting, there is a TON in info on this site, and all over the web. It can be overwhelming, so if you have specific questions, just post and ask!

You can use both. You can buy compost. Compost has a lot more to offer than just giving nutrients to the soil, like fertilizer does, though. It can help retain moisture and also help keep the soil cool when the weather gets hot in the summer.

x2. I started with bagged commercial compost when I first set up raised beds, since I started the garden before I had compost bins (plus I do the slo-mo method of composting, so I give it a year before harvesting).

Some plants are heavier feeders (tomatoes are one) so having some fertilizer on hand isn't a bad idea, though it takes me years to use up even a small bag since I don't usually need very much of it.

Sorry, clicked on post reply before I was done.

Can you start a compost pile somewhere? Personally, I can't imagine NOT having a compost pile, because it's where I get rid of any vegetative waste from the kitchen, pulled weeds from the garden, coffee grounds, tea bags, grass clippings, raked up leaves, and chicken poop. Put it all in a pile, and in a few months' time, it is black gold for your garden. For free.

If you want to start composting, there is a TON in info on this site, and all over the web. It can be overwhelming, so if you have specific questions, just post and ask!
I would love to try composting at some point! I can't do a pile since I don't want to attract any kind of pests, as I only have my backyard to put it in. I would probably do something like the picture below.
1616894718876.png

Anyways, I was thinking I would start my garden first and then try composting later because they both seem like really big topics, and I think it would be too much to try to learn and start both at once. When I do start, I will defiantly ask questions here if I need to! Thank you for your help!

x2. I started with bagged commercial compost when I first set up raised beds, since I started the garden before I had compost bins (plus I do the slo-mo method of composting, so I give it a year before harvesting).

Some plants are heavier feeders (tomatoes are one) so having some fertilizer on hand isn't a bad idea, though it takes me years to use up even a small bag since I don't usually need very much of it.
Okay, so I will probably add compost to my soil (I will need to use bagged compost) and maybe a little fertilizer. I will have my potting soil from last year, so if I add compost to that, will it restore all the nutrients it lost from some things I grew in it last year?

Also, I have have bagged commercial soil like raised garden bed soil, will I need to add anything to it? Or does it have everything it needs just by itself?

I was planning on having my bed with having a mixture of some store bought bagged soil and the potting soil from last year. And any compost or fertilizer I will need to add. Thank you!

Thank you, this was helpful!

Okay, so I will probably add compost to my soil (I will need to use bagged compost) and maybe a little fertilizer. I will have my potting soil from last year, so if I add compost to that, will it restore all the nutrients it lost from some things I grew in it last year?

Also, I have have bagged commercial soil like raised garden bed soil, will I need to add anything to it? Or does it have everything it needs just by itself?

I was planning on having my bed with having a mixture of some store bought bagged soil and the potting soil from last year. And any compost or fertilizer I will need to add. Thank you!
Bagged commercial soil mix should be good as-is, though most of them have instructions on the back to advise if that's the case or not.

Since you're using a mix of stuff, it should work out well for this year since you'll have some new soil mix (where nutrients haven't been used up) as well as the old stuff + compost, so it'll help balance it out.

Bagged commercial soil mix should be good as-is, though most of them have instructions on the back to advise if that's the case or not.

Since you're using a mix of stuff, it should work out well for this year since you'll have some new soil mix (where nutrients haven't been used up) as well as the old stuff + compost, so it'll help balance it out.
Okay, thank you so much. This was helpful! I was a little worried if the soil wouldn't be good but it sounds like it will be okay.

@Chickies11, I would NOT (REALLY NOT) recommend that kind of composter. It looks like a great idea, looks neat and clean and compact. Once I got mine even 1/4 full, it was too heavy to turn. Now it is stuck with the opening in about the position you see in your picture. I can't get anything out of it, unless I reach in.

Because I couldn't turn it, the contents didn't get mixed up, no air got mixed in, and it is a cold, slimy, icky mess. It is totally useless to me now, and it was about $175, IIRC. :rant:duc

Maybe someone else here has had better results with what you have pictured, and can tell me what I did wrong. But for me, a "pile style" works much better for composting.

Back
Top Bottom