What is the biggest egg your chicken has laid and what breed laid it?

LearningChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
California
I was trying to find somewhere to show off my XXL eggs!! I know it must be such hard work for my girls to lay these eggs and I wanted to share them with the world!!! About once each week I get eggs that are double yolk and HUGE!! Here is one of the smaller eggs as an example! (I just recently decided to measure them.)

This is laid by my chicken - Especial - She is a Rhode Island Red.

I can't wait to see everyone else's chicken eggs!!
wee.gif

Super jumbo laid by my tetra tint.

"The Tetra Tint is a cross between a Rhode Island Red male and a White Leghorn female, producing cream colored or "tinted" eggs."

Does your Tetra Tint lay eggs like that regularly?

No wonder hens cackle when they are laying eggs. :)

Last edited:

Super Jumbo by my New Hampshire (pretty sure it was her). You can see it next to extra large size eggs in the box and side by side. Wow. I did weigh it but I forgot where I put that figure. It was amazing in weight. I'm pretty sure it was double yoked as well.

Lady of McCamley

"The Tetra Tint is a cross between a Rhode Island Red male and a White Leghorn female, producing cream colored or "tinted" eggs."

Does your Tetra Tint lay eggs like that regularly?

No wonder hens cackle when they are laying eggs. :)

They lay super jumbo or jumbo on a regular bases. They are egg laying gumball machines and they do burn out in about two years. Started with 6 in 2011 and I am down to three left. Think it all has to do with them being a commercial production strain. Amazingly the hen that laid this egg is still alive and just coming back into lay after her first molt at two years old. She is the most scrawny and scraggily looking hen of the bunch. But lays the biggest eggs.

Last edited:
They lay super jumbo or jumbo on a regular bases. They are egg laying gumball machines and they do burn out in about two years. Started with 6 in 2011 and I am down to three left. Think it all has to do with them being a commercial production strain.

You could cross a Rhode Island Red rooster and a White Leghorn hen and see how the offspring produce.

Back
Top Bottom