What sport do/did y'all play in Highschool?

the wool uniforms my beloathed... and they only get washed once per season
Is it really band if it doesn't smell like constant BO?

By the way, you guys are talking about "mellos"? So I actually switched from drums to french horn my senior year, and I'm trying to figure out if that's what a "marching french horn" is called? It was kind of like a trumpet on steroids, and honestly didn't sound very nice at all compared to a normal french horn (which is literal heaven 😍).

Is it really band if it doesn't smell like constant BO?

By the way, you guys are talking about "mellos"? So I actually switched from drums to french horn my senior year, and I'm trying to figure out if that's what a "marching french horn" is called? It was kind of like a trumpet on steroids, and honestly didn't sound very nice at all compared to a normal french horn (which is literal heaven 😍).
a mellophone is definitely one of the "trumpets on steroids". Along with flugelhorn. It's typically keyed in F. There is ALSO a marching french horn that has a more circular winding like a normal french horn so it looks like you're marching with a big donut.

fsfrenchh1.jpg

Most of the time though it's mellophones. A mello is more of a projected brass instrument than a french horn though. You're using it for mid tone fill at a distance in a marching band. It will be a more harsh sound compared to a normal french horn. Those are more subtle and shine in an enclosed listening space with good acoustics (like an orchestral setting). They're still midtone fill, but the sound character is more smooth and subtle.

Yay physics and acoustics!

a mellophone is definitely one of the "trumpets on steroids". Along with flugelhorn. It's typically keyed in F. There is ALSO a marching french horn that has a more circular winding like a normal french horn so it looks like you're marching with a big donut.

View attachment 3792260

Most of the time though it's mellophones. A mello is more of a projected brass instrument than a french horn though. You're using it for mid tone fill at a distance in a marching band. It will be a more harsh sound compared to a normal french horn. Those are more subtle and shine in an enclosed listening space with good acoustics (like an orchestral setting). They're still midtone fill, but the sound character is more smooth and subtle.

Yay physics and acoustics!
Thank you so much for the explanation! So yeah, I was definitely using the mellophone for marching. I don't even understand how it's possible to march with that other thing! The bell is so high, it must block your vision. Looks pretty sweet, though.

Also, sorry OP for hijacking your sports thread! 😅 I was big into track and field in middle school. 4x100, hurdles, and triple jump. I got 3rd place in the hurdles one year (in a multi-school event), and I will talk about that 25 cent ribbon with pride for the rest of my days. 😁

Back
Top Bottom