What to do with my broody hen

What should I do with my broody???

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
I have a broody cochin bantam that is sitting on a nest. She has been sitting for 4 days on some fake eggs while I try to decide what to do with her. I don’t really want to break her, but I’m scared that it’s too cold for her to hatch chicks. I’m not sure what to do. My other option is to let her continue to sit on the fake eggs for a few more days then try to give her chicks. What should I do??? Thanks for any help

Tbh I would try that, then less worrying about chicks and her, I think bantams are nicer to chicks! mine is at least she loves my 4 new chicks. But hasn’t lasted any eggs yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 2
Broodiness is as much about biochemistry as it is about a hen's desire. If you're going to try the switcheroo with live chicks, then try to time it close to when she would have started having chicks hatch... in your case... in about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks from now.
As for it being 'too cold', chickens can withstand cold much better than heat... nature knows best and if nature says it's broody time, then don't worry about the falling temperatures. Ensure she is in a non-drafty area and let nature take its course.
Congratulations! I am in the process of breeding my flock with an eye towards hens that WILL brood and that will mother their chicks well.

I have a broody cochin bantam that is sitting on a nest. She has been sitting for 4 days on some fake eggs while I try to decide what to do with her. I don’t really want to break her, but I’m scared that it’s too cold for her to hatch chicks. I’m not sure what to do. My other option is to let her continue to sit on the fake eggs for a few more days then try to give her chicks. What should I do??? Thanks for any help
My hens frequently hatch and raise chicks in the winter. If the temperatures dip below 40F, I provide a heat lamp until the weather warms. Most of our winter days stay above freezing; it's in the 60s today. If your winters are colder the hen would not be successful in raising chicks without your giving supplemental heat.

I consider this a well documented case where someone in a colder climate than you are likely to get in Texas had a broody hen hatch in the dead of winter. You can read how it went for someone that did it.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947046/broody-in-michigan-winter

As you can see it can be done. The risks are higher in winter since the conditions can be extreme. What might be an inconvenience in warm weather can be a real problem if you have truly cold weather.

If you want to you can give her eggs to hatch or you can try to give her chicks to raise. It can work, you'll have some risks. There are risks any time of the year you try.

In my opinion if you are not going to give her eggs you should break her now. I think it works out better this way.

If you give her eggs, don't give her as many as you would in June. It will let her keep them covered better. 3-4 eggs would be best.

Mrs K
X 2 and as the chicks grow there is more room under the hen to adequately keep them warm. In winter, the hen's ability to keep her chicks warm is more a problem than incubating the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom