Whatcha Making for Supper?

I had Pho. Those that didn’t join me had other stuff.
Yum! We are having Pho tomorrow. But it will be simple this time. I have a lot of frozen broth leftover from the last time I made it. It takes so long to make that I thought I'd make a double batch. Hopefully it will taste just as good as the first time. I will steep some Oldman Que Huong herbs in it. Then I just have to add the beef and veggies. Easy-peasy.

Yum! We are having Pho tomorrow. But it will be simple this time. I have a lot of frozen broth leftover from the last time I made it. It takes so long to make that I thought I'd make a double batch. Hopefully it will taste just as good as the first time. I will steep some Oldman Que Huong herbs in it. Then I just have to add the beef and veggies. Easy-peasy.
We went to our favorite restaurant to get it last night. They have the best broth ever.

Would you care to share your recipe? I just love pho and make broth all the time but not pho yet!

We went to our favorite restaurant to get it last night. They have the best broth ever.
That's even better!!! I actually got my recipe from my favorite Pho restaurant. They are under new ownership and my Pho is now better than theirs. 😁 But I love it when I can buy what someone else made!!!

Would you care to share your recipe? I just love pho and make broth all the time but not pho yet!
Pho Broth

4 lbs beef soup bones
1 onion unpeeled and cut in half
3 slices fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 TB salt
2 pods star anise
2 1/2 TB fish sauce
4 qts water
Oldman Que Huong Seasoning Spices (added after broth is made and just prior to serving)

425° oven.

Place beef bones on baking sheet and roast until browned, about 1 hour.

Place onion on baking sheet and roast until blackened and soft, about 45 minutes.

Roast ginger, anise & cinnamon for a short time. Watch closely so it doesn't burn. You just want to release the flavor and fragrance.

I do those three steps at the same time, just adding the next item when the time is right.

Place bones, onion, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, fish sauce and salt in a large stockpot and cover with 4 qts water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 6-10 hours, the longer the better.

Strain the broth through muslin. I also make the broth a day ahead and put it in the refrigerator overnight. That way I can skim any fat that rises to the top off my broth. For Pho, you want the clearest broth possible.

The secret ingredient to this broth is added when you are ready to make the Pho. You need to get Oldman Que Huong Brand spice seasoning, (available on Amazon). Bring the broth to a boil and then turn it to low. The seasoning comes with a bag, use that, and steep it in the broth for an hour. Then remove it and reheat the broth to boiling when you are ready to serve.

You probably don't need this part, but here is how I finish it into the Pho soup:

1 8 oz package dried rice noodles
1 1/2 lbs beef top sirloin, slice very thinly
1/2 cilantro
1 TB chopped green onion
1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
1 bunch Thai basil
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1 jalapeno, sliced, seeds intact

While the spice packet is steeping in the broth, place the rice noodles in a large bowl filled with room temperature water and allow to soak for one hour.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and when ready to serve, boil the rice noodles for one minute.

Divide the noodles between 4 bowls, top with sirloin, cilantro and green onions. Pour hot broth over the top. Stir and allow to sit for 1 or 2 minutes so the sirloin will cook.

Serve with bean sprouts, Thai basil, lime wedges and jalapeno on the side for each to add how much they want.

Some people also like to have Hoisin sauce and Sriracha on the table. (My grandson turns his red with Sriracha. lol)

I hope you'll let me know how it turns out when you make it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom