What's the temperature where you are???

Saturday 7th of September 8.45a.m. It's cloud cover and a spattering of raindrops for me as well. 11.1 / 13kph SSW, Hg 50%, 18.4C / 65.1F top of 22C / 72F. Shower or two developing. Marine wind warning back up.

Moon is 12.9%

Roaming pigs in Tasmania's north-west causing destruction as council says it lacks powers to deal with problem​

22 hours ago
Feral piglets run through the undergrowth.

Wild piglets at Gunns Plains in Tasmania's north-west. (Supplied: Tiana Pirtle) I think the solution is in the name of the plain. This baffles me as Tasmania has eradicated all foxes and rabbits - you will not find one on the island!

In short:​

A population of roaming pigs is causing headaches for a Tasmanian council and costing its ratepayers tens of thousands of dollars.
The Central Coast Council is lobbying the state government for more powers to control the pig population, which is legally not considered "feral".

What's next?​

Without action in the years to come, the Invasive Species Council says the state could have a roaming pig population in the tens of thousands.

Roaming pigs are wreaking havoc in a north-west Tasmanian farming community, prompting "heated" disputes between neighbours, and costing ratepayers tens of thousands of dollars.

A population of pigs now numbering more than 150 has been roaming Gunns Plains on the Central Coast in north-west Tasmania since about 2000.

The Central Coast Council has been pushing for law changes that it says will enable better management of the problem, but has so far been unable to convince the state government.

Dr Pirtle said if left unchecked, the state's roaming domestic pig population could grow by 85 per cent per year, and could become a feral population of 30,000 animals over the next decade.
Starting to have an issue with swine here also. They sure are adaptable little creatures!

91,4 almost the last couple of weeks through, sunshine and no rain, thank God it’s finally supposed to rain tomorrow, and then things will finally cool down 🙏🏻, of course today I noticed one of the basement windows was in BAD need of a paint job 😬 let me tell you, it wasn’t simple, first, lugging the vacuum into the basement, it snagged on many things, you know, basement 🤪 then I needed to sand the window down, then find and get varnish( which hasn’t been used in a couple of years, but after searching and finding a stick outside and a good stir, it was almost as good as new, the lid was stuck on so tight, I finally pried it off with a plier) ,laying out the ground with protective fabric, then I noticed the window wood had already separated in one place, so look and find wood glue, first I tried spackle, no joy, then I used a 2-component glue, not very successful either, so in the end, I put serval coats of varnish on the wood and hoping for the best 🙏🏻 now I am varnished in several places, tried to get it off with cleaner ( no turpentine on hand, it IS Sunday 🤪) now going to shower and hoping to rub it off 😅

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom