What's wrong with their feathers?

My eggs arrived! My plan if I get both silkied and split chicks is to breed the silkied to a regular ameraucana to increase the gene pool, and breed the splits to a silkied. I hadn't thought about trading but it sounds like a good idea rather then breeding them to a half sibling. I'm still not even halfway through this thread but had a question about the original pair. Is all of their offspring out of both of them or have they been bred to regular ameracaunas too?

Happy hatching! I hope you get 100%!

For some time we had a good accounting of nearly every bird resulting from this project- you'll see all of that as you keep reading. Julie, the originator of this line (and thread) had one original pair and everything comes from them with outcrosses to various other lines of Ameraucana, but not too diversely. There is definitely room for more genetic diversity, but it is important to band all of your stock so you can keep careful track of the splits and bloodlines for clarity and to avoid moving backward toward the genetic bottleneck we started from.

Moving into Ameraucanas from a breeder is a great way to go, and I'm doing that as well as keeping multiple lines. That's really one of the best way for us to strengthen them.

I'm just glad we have more folks in the project!

What a cool project, almost 4 years in the making!!!
pop.gif
Now I see why that delayed/lost shipment was extra stressful...
th.gif

I wish I lived in America just so I could buy some of these beautiful birds.
I love my Araucana's (English with tails, lavender + black) and my one splash Americana look alike.
I think these birds look stunnind with the silkied feathers.
What a great project you all have been working on.
I hope one day it reaches us here.

dede

Well after over a year and some problems causing me to go the hatching route, I have a dozen eggs coming. FINALLY! I have wanted these since that first pic went up the day this thread started. I haven't posted but a few times in here, but I've read. Think is my mind is completely blank now that I know I'll be doing this.

I'm excited and scared all at once. I think by the time they get here I'm going to be exhausted. I can't sleep as it is and now I'm just ansty. I'm going to need a lot of hand holding during all of this, so please be gentle with me.

ChooksChick, oh hatching GURU of mine. Help me get these chicks to hatch. You tell me what I need to do and I'm there. You helped me when I thought I'd never have another good hatch and now I have many, but also some flops. I don't want this hatch to be hindered in any way. Bad enough I'm paranoid over the PO having anything to do with these precious eggs.

These are not even the most expensive eggs I've ever bought, but I tell you, the pressure is already starting to get to me. I'm just so happy to finally have a chance to own them. Been a long time coming. But I'm more nervous than a pregnant woman and trust me I've been one many times.

And Alice, thank you, thank you thank you! I hope I do a good job with them after you've put so much work into them. And you need to find a place that you're able to get back into these with, because it's just to strange to think you are going to have a gap with being envolved. It has to be heartbreaking to have to give any of them up.

OK maybe I can sleep now. Maybe not.

Well after over a year and some problems causing me to go the hatching route, I have a dozen eggs coming. FINALLY! I have wanted these since that first pic went up the day this thread started. I haven't posted but a few times in here, but I've read. Think is my mind is completely blank now that I know I'll be doing this.

I'm excited and scared all at once. I think by the time they get here I'm going to be exhausted. I can't sleep as it is and now I'm just ansty. I'm going to need a lot of hand holding during all of this, so please be gentle with me.

ChooksChick, oh hatching GURU of mine. Help me get these chicks to hatch. You tell me what I need to do and I'm there. You helped me when I thought I'd never have another good hatch and now I have many, but also some flops. I don't want this hatch to be hindered in any way. Bad enough I'm paranoid over the PO having anything to do with these precious eggs.

These are not even the most expensive eggs I've ever bought, but I tell you, the pressure is already starting to get to me. I'm just so happy to finally have a chance to own them. Been a long time coming. But I'm more nervous than a pregnant woman and trust me I've been one many times.

And Alice, thank you, thank you thank you!  I hope I do a good job with them after you've put so much work into them. And you need to find a place that you're able to get back into these with, because it's just to strange to think you are going to have a gap with being envolved. It has to be heartbreaking to have to give any of them up.

OK maybe I can sleep now. Maybe not.

Congratulations!!!! :weee

I'll be sending good hatching vibes your way!

I've been lurking on this thread since the beginning also but never posted on it. These are the prettiest birds!

Last edited:
I would love to have the sellers screen name. What size are these beauties? Are they bantam?

My eggs? They are from Alicefelldown. I believe she shipped out her flock the same day though...

My eggs are on day 3. I'm probably going to candle them on Thursday. I'm looking into a backup power source for the incubator as I'm stressing we are going to have a wind storm or another freak snow fall and my project will come to an abrupt end. We've a generator but it has to be turned on. I'm looking for something that will kick on automatically. Any ideas?

My eggs? They are from Alicefelldown. I believe she shipped out her flock the same day though...

My eggs are on day 3. I'm probably going to candle them on Thursday. I'm looking into a backup power source for the incubator as I'm stressing we are going to have a wind storm or another freak snow fall and my project will come to an abrupt end. We've a generator but it has to be turned on. I'm looking for something that will kick on automatically. Any ideas?

There are battery backups for computers that do that so you have enough time to save what you're working on and shut down, but I don't know how long they'd be able to power an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom