When should I intervene in bullying?

chookcomplex

Chirping
Oct 1, 2022
Do I have to intervene in a chicken chasing and pecking all the other chickens if there's no feather picking or blood or physical harm? Do I count this is bullying or the pecking order vibe check is supposed to be just daily for months and months.

I have 2 45 week old hens, 4 14 week old pullets, 1 14 week old rooster. All these are cream legbars.
I introduced the younger chickens at around 5 weeks of age.
One of the elder hens always chase and peck at the young ones whenever they see the young ones eating or if they come close. There will be times where the hens are resting and a distance away where the young ones won't get chased and they can relax.
I also introduced 2 new hens, both roughly 1 and half years old, a smaller Black Araucana hen and one sizeable Lohmann Brown hen. For 2 weeks, I've put them in a cage in their enclosure and now I let all chickens out into the larger garden run.
The 45wo cream legbar is the one doing the most chasing and pecking but is still subordinate to the more chill 45wo who only pecks at the food dish.

It’s sounds like you have a lovely flock ❤️

I don’t think bullying/checking/demonstrating pecking order should be happening all day and night. If that wa the case, I’m sure everyone in the flock is stressed.

I think you should keep an eye on it, and if you notice it getting pretty aggressive, you might need to think about rehoming the bully. I hope everyone settles down and it work out 👍🏻

It’s sounds like you have a lovely flock ❤️

I don’t think bullying/checking/demonstrating pecking order should be happening all day and night. If that wa the case, I’m sure everyone in the flock is stressed.

I think you should keep an eye on it, and if you notice it getting pretty aggressive, you might need to think about rehoming the bully. I hope everyone settles down and it work out 👍🏻
It only happens throughout the day, the roosting phase at dark is comfortable.

One of the elder hens always chase and peck at the young ones whenever they see the young ones eating or if they come close.
Are there multiple feeders and waterers spread apart so all the birds get a chance to eat?

Does the hen break off the chase if the chicks get further than 5-6' away from her?

Do you have ample clutter to provide hiding spots to any birds who need them?

Are there multiple feeders and waterers spread apart so all the birds get a chance to eat?

Does the hen break off the chase if the chicks get further than 5-6' away from her?

There are two feeders spread apart, but they have to go into the enclosure for one of them. Both do different feed. The chase is broken up easily, it is not a continual pursuit but there is a 2m orb of personal space the elder chickens do not like crossed even if they are the ones approaching.
The chickens can spread out easily. I suppose part of the issue is that they all want to crowd around the run, they don't like going into the enclosure for food.

There are two feeders spread apart, but they have to go into the enclosure for one of them. Both do different feed. The chase is broken up easily, it is not a continual pursuit but there is a 2m orb of personal space the elder chickens do not like crossed even if they are the ones approaching.
The chickens can spread out easily. I suppose part of the issue is that they all want to crowd around the run, they don't like going into the enclosure for food.
When you say the enclosure, does that mean the coop? Or a smaller more protected run? Is there only one way in and out?

Photos would help, especially if you could mark where the feeders are located.

Any possibility of adding additional feeders out in the area they're normally in? They don't need to be actual feeders, small bowls work just as well.

I have a similar issue. 10 six week old pullets and 10 one yr old hens. They've been together since the pullets were 2weeks. Integrated fully during the day since week 4. They still sleep separately in the coop.

Only one hen is causing an issue. She rips patches of feathers off of the pullets of she can grab them. No blood. She pursues them if she's up and about and they are in her view. She does give up after about 30 seconds maybe???

I have 5 water stations in the runs and outside, 2 hanging feeders in each run, 3 bowls of food outside and one inside under a basket with holes for just the babies to get inside.

Coop is 12x16
Run attached to that is 12x16
Run attached to that is 10x20
Outside area covered by bird netting is about 30x30.
Nesting area inside and outside.

They all have access to all those areas all day. Pics attached.Do I need to change anything or separate that hen or just stop worrying? 😄
20230531_074608.jpg
20230531_074616.jpg
20230531_074638_HDR.jpg
20230531_074728.jpg
20230531_074750.jpg
20230531_074925_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20230531_074604.jpg
    20230531_074604.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 15
Only one hen is causing an issue. She rips patches of feathers off of the pullets of she can grab them. No blood. She pursues them if she's up and about and they are in her view. She does give up after about 30 seconds maybe???
She's probably the 'low hen' in the older flock. They are most likely to object to any newcomers most vehemently.

Do I need to change anything or separate that hen or just stop worrying?
As long as the youngers are eating and drinking OK and not being pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, I'd just stop worrying. Removing the bully might help, but another may take her place.

It is really common for my immature chicks to form a sub-flock when integrating. If they enter the personal space of a more mature chicken they just might get pecked. And yes, it does not matter which one was the one that moved into that space. It usually doesn't take long for the chicks to learn to avoid the older ones. Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics so you can see many different things but forming a sub-flock is really common. This tends to change when the younger pullets reach a maturity level where they can join the main flock. With mine, this tends to be around the time they start to lay. They can eat with the older ones and sleep with them without getting pecked but may still spend some time with their brood mates. When I'm integrating I'm very happy to have them create sub-flocks as that keeps it more peaceful. And I don't care where they sleep at night as long as it is not in the nests and is some place predator safe. They will work that out in time. My real interest in integrating is that no one gets hurt. The rest will follow.

It is less common but sometimes a chicken, usually a hen low in the pecking order but could be any older chicken, that may go out of her way to bully them away from water or food. Or just attack them from a distance. This is why having more room is really helpful and why we recommend widely scattered feed and water spots so they can eat without being bullied away. As long as no one is getting injured I'm OK with this but you do need to pay attention. Watch for injuries. The most dangerous time is when a young one is trapped in a corner or against a fence and cannot run away. Then they tend to hunker down and try to protect their head while the attacker tries to peck their head as that is a good way to kill them.

I have changed behaviors by isolating an aggressor from the flock for a few days. It does not always work, nothing is "always" with chickens, but you can try if you want to. See if it helps, you never know with chickens. I have never felt that I needed to try it for something like this but I hardly ever see something like this. Each flock is different and we all have different set-ups.

Back
Top Bottom