Where to start? Old, abandoned coop repair

peacRN

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2024
NW Ohio
We just bought an old farmhouse this summer. It came with this 12x14 ft chicken coop that clearly hasn’t seen any birds in years. I have a ton of work to do, and I’m not sure where to start in terms of the best materials to use or where to begin. I’m not very handy and I don’t want to rely entirely on my husband or my dad to do everything.

IMG_1763.jpeg

From the outside alone, you can tell the roof needs to be replaced and it needs some hardware cloth or something around the bottom.
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg

The inside is divided in half. I haven’t measured them yet to see if they are the same dimensions
IMG_1767.jpeg

Standing in one half, looking toward the door. I don’t know if the electricity that’s wired out here is still working.
IMG_1768.jpeg
The back section. Obviously the roof is no longer in good shape, and there are small sections of rotted out walls. The chickens would probably be put in this half of the coop. I’m planning on building the run so that it’s attached to the left wall here.
IMG_1769.jpeg
The second window, in the half of the coop where the chickens will be.
IMG_1770.jpeg

Another view. The run will be built off of the left side. Probably a 10x20 foot run. They’ll have a decent amount of shade from the old 100 year old trees growing nearby. None of the trees are dead or dying, and there aren’t any huge branches that I’d be concerned about falling on the coop or run.

It’s clear that I’ll also need more ventilation. A lot more. Need advice on that for sure.

Definitely replace roof, rafters and sheathing.
Good opportunity to build large roof overhangs with fascia and open soffits. This will give you good ventilation even in winter.

Do those windows open?
They don’t, unfortunately. Adding soffits and fascia when we redo the roof is gonna be the way to go, I bet. I may also add some ventilation fans on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom