Which chicken breed makes a good indoor bedroom pet?

I’m looking for a breed of chicken that doesn’t poop a lot and will stay on my lap for a long time.
That description does not really fit any breed of chicken. I'm not sure it even fits any birds. You might have better results with a different kind of animal.

This will be an indoor pet.
Chickens make a lot of dust (not just their bedding, but also the way their feathers and skin work.) That is not usually welcome inside a human house.

Chickens also do much better with some other chickens for company. If one chicken indoors makes too much poop and dust for most people, more chickens indoors would be worse.

get a cat
Cats definitely poop less often than chickens! They can also control when and where they poop, and they don't seem to make as much dust either. I agree that a cat sounds more promising than a chicken for anyone who wants an animal to sit on their lap and not poop too much.

Hello! It really depends on the individual chicken’s personality. I had a white leghorn that was very friendly and loved to sit on my lap. She let me hold and pet her. However, I have another one right now that is more skittish and reluctant to let me make contact.

I have thought about keeping a chicken indoors, and I think it would be so fun! But like the others said, I don’t know if it would be the best idea. They poop a lot, they need at least two others to keep them company, and the time length of daily light may mess up her perception of seasons and affect her egg laying. There are also other issues that may come with keeping chickens indoors, such as irregular claw and beak growth because they can’t forage like they would outside. They may also damage your belonging and possessions inside. But it’s your decision, and I know people do this.

If you decide to do this, I would suggest getting a silkie. They are smaller, don’t seem to shed feathers as much, and tend to be one of the more friendly breeds suitable for a lap bird. Also, I have seen people put bird diapers on their chickens so that they don’t poop everywhere, so that may be an option as well.

Leghorn, definitely Leghorn
I accidentally got a leghorn and LOVE it. It's totally not what is described when you look them up though. The descriptions don't give them credit for how sweet they or at least mine is. This is Butters and she is a total sweetheart 20230403_200125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom