White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

There are still several breeders around the country working with this very old breed. At one time some of the best could be found in North Carolina but that breeder has since retired. Hatchery Spanish can be improved by breeding to exhibition quality Black Minorcas which were referred to at one time as red faced spanish. They are very similar with the exception of the white face.
The Standard of Perfection states, "positive red in the face, except directly above the eyes" is a disqualificaton and makes no differentiation between cockerel/pullet vs. cock/hen so in the first year both should express the white face. There are several breeders listed in the American Poultry Association's annual yearbook and a couple of them are master breeders. Of course one must be a member of the APA to get a yearbook; hint...hint. www.amerpoultryassn.com
I wish you all much sucess in reviving this noble fowl.

Blessings to you,

Bo Garrett
APA Endowment Trust Life Member # 330

Quote:
I normally just read the Okie thread and rarely post. It moves far to fast for me to keep up with the conversation. Thinking of bringing some large cochins up to the Newcastle sale in August if the weather breaks. I have a bunch of nice ones and I need to get some off of the feed bill. Are you still thinking of going to Indianapolis in October? If so, there will be some good Minorcas there possibly some for sale. There may even be some Spanish for sale, there will surely be some in the show, last time we were there I think every breed and variety was represented. Do you know who the officers of the Oklahoma Poultry Federation are? I was wondering if they were able to get anyone to run for office. I was asked but just don't have the time anymore, my job is pretty much 24-7. Look forward to seeing you this fall.

Blessings to you,

Bo

I hatched some White Faced Black Spanish. Actually had a 100% hatch on shipped eggs, too! I gave these all away, as they were just too flighty for my taste.

31282_flock_pics_3-24-10_108.jpg

Quote:
I guess they really have to mature to get the "white face".

More flighty than icelandics???

My first Icelandics are not flighty at all. However, this last LARGE batch of chicks seems to be. YES, the Spanish were VERY flighty. I gave them away at point of lay.

Kathy, didn't the WFBS eggs you hatched come from Terry Lund? I couldn't get a single egg from him to hatch... neither could one of my other girlfriends who ordered some bantam salmon faverolle eggs from him. $90 in eggs, not a single chick to show for my trouble. But I spent $60 (including shipping) at Ideal and got 25 healthy chicks... go figure. LOL.

I'm really hopeful that the eggs from Jim Bell will do better. I really want to help preserve this breed. I am doing as others have suggested... I have some hatchery stock, and I'm going to breed them to heritage stock for the better qualities INCLUDING temperament, white face, etc.

Jim was telling me he's also working on a white faced BLUE Spanish! He's not ready to introduce them yet until he's sure they're going to breed true, but I told him that when he's ready to start introducing them, I'd be more than happy to hatch some out for him & get them going out here on the west coast!
yippiechickie.gif

Terry has nice birds and is a nice person. I don't know what happened between his post office and the west coast, but NOTHING hatched that we ordered out here. The WFBS eggs had good fertility but were old eggs with large, irregular air cells. The developing chicks died between days 10 and 12 of incubation every single time. (Ordered from him more than once, thought maybe the first non-hatch was a fluke.) You know how it is with shipped eggs, especially when they are coming across the country from one climate to another. It's a gamble, and sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I'm hoping to have better hatching luck with the eggs I get from Jim Bell in the fall.

Quote:
I normally just read the Okie thread and rarely post. It moves far to fast for me to keep up with the conversation. Thinking of bringing some large cochins up to the Newcastle sale in August if the weather breaks. I have a bunch of nice ones and I need to get some off of the feed bill. Are you still thinking of going to Indianapolis in October? If so, there will be some good Minorcas there possibly some for sale. There may even be some Spanish for sale, there will surely be some in the show, last time we were there I think every breed and variety was represented. Do you know who the officers of the Oklahoma Poultry Federation are? I was wondering if they were able to get anyone to run for office. I was asked but just don't have the time anymore, my job is pretty much 24-7. Look forward to seeing you this fall.

Blessings to you,

Bo

I doubt if i get to g.o ind both my boys quit poultry .There into showing alpacsnow,be hard for this old man to go that far.Are youall going? Ill probabl.y try to make kanas,newcastle and shawnee .I havent talked to anybody in Federation i dont know whoes in there now,i talked scoots while back he didnt know either .

Back
Top Bottom