Who's been hurt making their coop/run?

My husband and I were working on our chicken coop the day after Christmas. It used to be a hog barn and we "remodeled" one side into a big chicken pen. The hog feeders sat on concrete slabs. My husband broke them up with digging iron and sledge hammer. We then set these chunks on end and "walked" them one be one across to the other side of the barn. We would let go and let them lay down. One the next to last piece, I apparently left go a second later than he did. My right index finger got pinched sideways between two pieces which weighed about 150 pounds each. I had heavy winter gloeves on and said it was just a little pinch. However, after taking my glove off, he said I needed a doctor. We went to our family doctor. I needed three stitches down the side of the tip of my finger. The end of my finger "burst" open a little and left some of what the doctor calls fat pop out the end of my finger. He put it back in and put in two more stitches there. The whole undersided of my finger from the first knuckle to tip looked like one giant blood blister and turned black. It gradually left loose. I still have a part of my fingertip that feels like a "dog pad" and it is hard to use a sewing needle. BTY, my BR enjoy the pen.

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

I'm sorry for the real pain some have suffered but some of the other stuff is REALLY funny.

Thanks for sharing, so far no wounds at our house (from the coop) but it's really only a matter of time.

Coops only been at the house (yep, I had to buy a shed) for a week and I'm going to start the interior modifications after my Triathlon on Sunday so I'll be back next week to let you know how much of my anatomy is damaged.
gig.gif

Michelle

Quote:
Your right about the slower part, lost me with the more connected with what you build. Must be a Zen master.
lol.png

I know more than one person who wound up feeling "more connected" to what they were building using an air nailer than they would have been if they'd stuck to a hammer.
wink.png

Quote:
ohmigosh stop it...

as for me - the second i pick up a hammer my husband goes and gets the band-aids. where do i even start.... lets just say its not construction until i end up in the emergency room. there is no way my hubby would let me have a nail gun...

probably the most amusing tale was when i fell off the ladder while working on the roof - but thanks to my monkey-like reflexes i caught the rafter on the way down and swung in the breeze there for a while... unfortunately the roof was about 10ft and i'm about 5'2 and of course i had dug out the 'soon to be gravel' foundation about 10 inches so the drop, and me flapping like a fat buff orpington, was legendary.

i kinda did that yesterday. Was cutting chicken wire for the new quail coop and snipped the last piece....... snap got the end of it slapped in my face. Lucky 4 me I wear glasses, but I've got scratches down my nose. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR it feels like papercuts!

Quote:
ohmigosh stop it...

as for me - the second i pick up a hammer my husband goes and gets the band-aids. where do i even start.... lets just say its not construction until i end up in the emergency room. there is no way my hubby would let me have a nail gun...

probably the most amusing tale was when i fell off the ladder while working on the roof - but thanks to my monkey-like reflexes i caught the rafter on the way down and swung in the breeze there for a while... unfortunately the roof was about 10ft and i'm about 5'2 and of course i had dug out the 'soon to be gravel' foundation about 10 inches so the drop, and me flapping like a fat buff orpington, was legendary.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Michelle

Only injuries so far (knock on wood) have been lots of cuts from hardware cloth and a sore back and knees from falling in the garage and throwing an entire gallon of paint everywhere in the process!

Back
Top Bottom