Witchcraft thread

Hello all, did anyone do anything special for the Solstice yesterday? I just burned some incense, too hot for candles and anything outdoor, definitely too hot for a bonfire
I debated doing long smoky burnouts in protest of the morons who defaced Stonehenge, but it was super hot outside so I just made fun of them on the internet instead.

Anyone interested in the history of The Witch (and magic itself) I'd like to introduce this book by professor Ronald Hutton:

The Witch: A History of Fear from Ancient Times to the Present

Ronald Hutton is a pagan, a professor of History at Bristol University and has published dozens of journal articles and books relating to Druidism, Witchcraft, Magic and Folklore as well as 16th and 17th century English history.

This book in particular Stations of the Sun: The Ritual Year in Britain really delves into where we get our traditions and how we completely misunderstand their history! It's quite an education.

Another volume, The Triumph of the Moon: This history of modern Pagan witchcraft deals solely with modern witches and how it manifested in the 20th century, and also deals with the incorrect belief that any of the modern practices are based on pre-Christian ideas.

Professor Ronald Hutton approaches each subject with a genuine candor and open mind, he has no agenda beyond finding the truth and he is absolutely rigorous in his attention to detail and research. It is why I prefer him over anyone else, because he will show evidence, after evidence after evidence, even if it contradicts his original theories -- because he doesn't have an ego about any of it, he just wants the truth of things. It's beautiful.

These read easily but are scholarly works, and they all sort of feel like mini-graduate courses. If you took masters or graduate courses this is the kind of level of scholasticism you're getting in these books. They're exceptional.

I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to be a witch, is a practicing witch or is simply curious about the history of magic, witches, folklore and where our ideas for all of it come from.

I can give you a TDLR; Egypt! But if you want to know why and how, read these volumes <3 Or send me a DM and we can have discussions. I'm extremely well versed in all of it.

Or we can have a public discussion here -- but it's a LOT of information to divest. If anyone has any questions where I don't have to just answer with 'read the book' I will do my best! haha

Anyone interested in the history of The Witch (and magic itself) I'd like to introduce this book by professor Ronald Hutton:

The Witch: A History of Fear from Ancient Times to the Present

Ronald Hutton is a pagan, a professor of History at Bristol University and has published dozens of journal articles and books relating to Druidism, Witchcraft, Magic and Folklore as well as 16th and 17th century English history.

This book in particular Stations of the Sun: The Ritual Year in Britain really delves into where we get our traditions and how we completely misunderstand their history! It's quite an education.

Another volume, The Triumph of the Moon: This history of modern Pagan witchcraft deals solely with modern witches and how it manifested in the 20th century, and also deals with the incorrect belief that any of the modern practices are based on pre-Christian ideas.

Professor Ronald Hutton approaches each subject with a genuine candor and open mind, he has no agenda beyond finding the truth and he is absolutely rigorous in his attention to detail and research. It is why I prefer him over anyone else, because he will show evidence, after evidence after evidence, even if it contradicts his original theories -- because he doesn't have an ego about any of it, he just wants the truth of things. It's beautiful.

These read easily but are scholarly works, and they all sort of feel like mini-graduate courses. If you took masters or graduate courses this is the kind of level of scholasticism you're getting in these books. They're exceptional.

I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to be a witch, is a practicing witch or is simply curious about the history of magic, witches, folklore and where our ideas for all of it come from.

I can give you a TDLR; Egypt! But if you want to know why and how, read these volumes <3 Or send me a DM and we can have discussions. I'm extremely well versed in all of it.

Or we can have a public discussion here -- but it's a LOT of information to divest. If anyone has any questions where I don't have to just answer with 'read the book' I will do my best! haha
Thanks so much for the recommendations. I’ll have to see if I can find them in the library.

I am a firm believer that people were much more connected to each other than history teaches us. There were ideas and practices that were exchanged between those who were open to them, and that nothing now is exactly as it was back then.

Back
Top Bottom