Won’t use ramp

Hickory_Hills

Chirping
Mar 2, 2024
Hickory Corners, Michigan
I can’t seem to get my chickens to go down the ramp. They’re about 9 weeks old. Have been in a brooder and now the coop. They’re curious about the ramp. They peck at it; look at it, but won’t go down it. Any ideas???
Pic of ramp…

Attachments

• IMG_9555.jpeg
    IMG_9555.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 11
It’s steep and narrow.

Adjust one or both of those elements.

I’ve seen where some use platforms instead of a ramp. So, imagine various height stumps, not necessarily in a line, that allow the chickens to jump, fly up to next level to get inside. Of course, you could use other things, not stumps.

I’ve also experienced chicks not using a ramp, too steep, too narrow and widening it, and reducing the angle helped.

It’s steep and narrow.

Adjust one or both of those elements.

I’ve seen where some use platforms instead of a ramp. So, imagine various height stumps, not necessarily in a line, that allow the chickens to jump, fly up to next level to get inside. Of course, you could use other things, not stumps.

I’ve also experienced chicks not using a ramp, too steep, too narrow and widening it, and reducing the angle helped.
Gotcha! Thanks!!

To save me a lot of typing I'll link to this thread. Read my post. Unless you have Silkies, Frizzes, or other chickens that cannot fly, nine week olds should have no problems flying up or down if they wanted to.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-are-terrified-of-the-coop.1623566/#post-27734953

To flatten that ramp, can you set something about a foot high under the bottom. That may flatten it enough for them.

But at nine weeks, if they want to get up or down they will. Some of mine want down right after I open the pop door so they go down. Some of mine have taken three days before they really wanted to go down. I know patience is not a word much used these days but I let them decide what they want to do.

To save me a lot of typing I'll link to this thread. Read my post. Unless you have Silkies, Frizzes, or other chickens that cannot fly, nine week olds should have no problems flying up or down if they wanted to.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-are-terrified-of-the-coop.1623566/#post-27734953

To flatten that ramp, can you set something about a foot high under the bottom. That may flatten it enough for them.

But at nine weeks, if they want to get up or down they will. Some of mine want down right after I open the pop door so they go down. Some of mine have taken three days before they really wanted to go down. I know patience is not a word much used these days but I let them decide what they want to do.
Gotcha! Thanks!!
It’s been a couple days; just didn’t know if they were scared. A couple flew down and then immediately walked back up.

Back
Top Bottom