Yellow goo with something foreign? what is wrong with this poop?

Bawkbok

Songster
Jun 5, 2024
SE USA
Hello all, I have a 7 month old Golden Comet - never laid an egg yet - who presented today with a nasty poop - see picture. She is acting and behaving normally, eating but I don't see much drinking, although I could be missing it.

We just finished a 5 day round of Corid due to some dark caramel color looking poo from the 5 month old Australorp. I think it might have been cecal poop from her but it was pretty much a puddle with little substance, so I decided to treat everyone with Corid. Post Corid treatment, I understand you have to give them vitamins which I started yesterday in their water. The BA's poop is now normal, no more brown puddles.

The Comet just started with this yellow substance today. Could it be from the vitamins? The weird thing is all the poops have looked normal in the tray every morning and in the run all throughout the day. This leads me to believe it might be something they are foraging as the icky poos only occur during free ranging. Does what they eat pass through their system that quickly? This goo had air bubbles in it that were actually popping as I was taking the picture.
I don't have any experience with worms but should I go ahead and treat the comet with a dewormer? Or all of them? I have Valbazen.
I checked the pictures in the Chicken Chick's poop article and it sort of looked like her diarrhea photo but with other stuff in it. I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it ok to deworm so quickly after Corid treatment? Should I just wait and see if it recurs? I prefer not to give meds or wormers unless necessary. Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• GC icky poo 2024.9.14.jpg
    GC icky poo 2024.9.14.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 20
It looks a bit loose to me, but could be harmless. Could be a sign of internal worms. I'd watch and wait to see if it's just a bit runny after meds and vitamins.

To help, I'll post the all popular link to poo pics for comparison. Also note, caramel colored runny poo sounds like normal cecal. Coccidiosis is usually frank red blood. It's also important not to overtreat.

LofMc

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

It looks a bit loose to me, but could be harmless. Could be a sign of internal worms. I'd watch and wait to see if it's just a bit runny after meds and vitamins.

To help, I'll post the all popular link to poo pics for comparison. Also note, caramel colored runny poo sounds like normal cecal. Coccidiosis is usually frank red blood. It's also important not to overtreat.

LofMc

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
Thank you for your insight. We had one more recurrence of the same type of poo, but nothing since, so I think we're past it. Could have been some bug or something she ate of unknown origin. She is acting normal and her poops now look good. I was not aware that Coccidiosis presents with red blood so I probably treated unnecessarily. Thank you again for your response.
I appreciate the link to poo pics. It is a great reference.

Back
Top Bottom