Cream Legbar Crosses..

Nadinthecountry

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2019
Northern Ireland
Hi all! First post on this fab forum

So we have a little flock with a cream legbar rooster some cream legbar hens, a maran and bluebelle.
We are literally hatching as I type and just wondering if anyone can advice on the genetics and passing down the sex linking gene when he is crossed with these other breeds?
We have 6 chicks so far and all are black and some have a yellow splash on their heads (indicative of males in cream legbars)..and some have nothing so I just wondered will those with tbe yellow splash def be male and without female?
Thanks!

So we have a little flock with a cream legbar rooster some cream legbar hens, a maran and bluebelle.
We are literally hatching as I type and just wondering if anyone can advice on the genetics and passing down the sex linking gene when he is crossed with these other breeds?
We have 6 chicks so far and all are black and some have a yellow splash on their heads (indicative of males in cream legbars)..and some have nothing so I just wondered will those with tbe yellow splash def be male and without female?
Thanks!
No, it won't work like that. A barred male over non barred females can't create sex links.

We are literally hatching as I type and just wondering if anyone can advise on the genetics and passing down the sex linking gene when he is crossed with these other breeds?
Thanks!

1) Cream Legbar Male x Cream Legbar Hens = 100% Pure Cream Legbars. Eggs will be light blue.

Mary Kay 2_FotoSketcher.jpg
IMG_6955.JPG

Blue egg.jpg

2) Cream Legbar Male x Black Copper Marans Hens = Black Barred offspring with crests, lightly feathers shanks, red mossiness on the hens feathers and red sholders on the males. Eggs will be green.

Olive Eggs.jpg

3) What is a BlueBelle. Are in the UK? There is a hybird there called a BlueBelle that is a cross beetween a Rhode Island Red and a Marans. I am guessing that half of them would come out looking like the Marans corss and half of them would look look like a Rhode Island Red X Legbar which would come out looking like a Legbar but with much more red coloring.

1) Cream Legbar Male x Cream Legbar Hens = 100% Pure Cream Legbars. Eggs will be light blue.

View attachment 1866060 View attachment 1866061
View attachment 1866063
2) Cream Legbar Male x Black Copper Marans Hens = Black Barred offspring with crests, lightly feathers shanks, red mossiness on the hens feathers and red sholders on the males. Eggs will be green.

View attachment 1866062

3) What is a BlueBelle. Are in the UK? There is a hybird there called a BlueBelle that is a cross beetween a Rhode Island Red and a Marans. I am guessing that half of them would come out looking like the Marans corss and half of them would look look like a Rhode Island Red X Legbar which would come out looking like a Legbar but with much more red coloring.

Thank you so much! We have some cream legbar eggs hatching now - hopefully!! They seem slow so a little concerned.

Most of the chick are black or a very dark grey some have yellow on tips of their wings will be interesting to see what they grow into.

A Bluebelle is a hybrid yes and I think thats correct Rhode Island and Maran - the one we have is a beautiful smokey grey colour.

Thanks again for all the info!!

View attachment 1866060 View attachment 1866061
View attachment 1866063

View attachment 1866062

Hi I just reread your reply - its actually cuckoo marans we have - so not sure what that means - came across something which said these chicks would have male/female characteristics but Im not sure!

Yes...I was wondering what type of Marans (Wheaten, Cuckoo, Golden Salmon, etc.) I took a guess on the Black Copper. Yes, that will make a difference. You will get barred pullets and barred cockerels from the Cuckoo Marans hens (no male/female characteristics at hatch. There color will be the same a cuckoo marans or Plymoth rocks at hatch). If they were Black Copper Marans the hens would be black and the cockerels would be single barred. From the Cuckoo x Legbar cross the hens will look like the barred Legbar x Marans hens that was posted above. If it were a black copper hen the pullets wold not be barred, but rather solid black with copper. Eggs will still be green from the Cuckoo cross.

Last edited:
Ya...I was wondering what type of Marans (Wheaten, Cuckoo, Golden Salmon, etc.) I took a guess on the Black Copper. Yes, that will make a difference. You will get barred pullets and cockerels from the Cuckoo Marans hens. If they were Black Copper Marans teh hens woould be black and the cockerels would be single barred. The hens will still look like the barred Legbar x Marans hens that was posted above. Eggs will still be green, etc.

So as chicks should I be seeing a difference - i have 5 black chicks some with yellow splash on head some with yello on tips of wings. Also have 2 dark grey which im figuring is probably from the bluebelle...
Thanks for all the info!!

So as chicks should I be seeing a difference - i have 5 black chicks some with yellow splash on head some with yello on tips of wings. Also have 2 dark grey which im figuring is probably from the bluebelle...
Thanks for all the info!!
No...the chicks from the Legbar x Cuckoo will not show a difference. The boys and girls will both all be black with yellow or white spots or splash on their head.

Yes the dark grey are probably from the Bluebells.

Back
Top Bottom