Is 6ft Coop Height Wrong for Quail?

Schatzii

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
Total newbie here. No birds yet, but looking at coops and runs for quail. My original fantasy was a huge 25'(L) X 25'(W) X 9'(H) aviary with natural quail habitat. After the sticker shock of what it would cost to pull that off, I've modified my dream until lumber prices return to normal. I'm looking at an enclosure that's 7'(W) X 5'(L) X 6'(H). Given the height restrictions necessary for quail (under 2' or really tall, right?), is this going to be a workable interim pen for the flock with nesting boxes and shelter added? What would you do? Thanks!

Pen.jpg
Pen.jpg
Pen.jpg

Total newbie here. No birds yet, but looking at coops and runs for quail. My original fantasy was a huge 25'(L) X 25'(W) X 9'(H) aviary with natural quail habitat. After the sticker shock of what it would cost to pull that off, I've modified my dream until lumber prices return to normal. I'm looking at an enclosure that's 7'(W) X 5'(L) X 6'(H). Given the height restrictions necessary for quail (under 2' or really tall, right?), is this going to be a workable interim pen for the flock with nesting boxes and shelter added? What would you do? Thanks!

View attachment 2678896View attachment 2678896View attachment 2678896

My coturnix live in a converted greenhouse that’s 7 feet tall in the center. The nest boxes are buckets set on their sides. They very rarely fly up.

edit: I just saw your pictures. Very similar to mine.

Coturnix quail or a different kind? How many birds are you looking to get?

I don't have experience with keeping quail in a walk-in enclosure, but I think it would work well. The reason people recommend low ceilings is that they don't utilize vertical space much and it prevents them from trying to fly vertically upwards (which they do a lot), but I'd think a really high ceiling like the one in the picture would be fine because they would be unlikely to reach the top and hit their heads.

Is that the exact enclosure you are looking to get? If so, I would cover the chicken wire with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Chicken wire is not predator proof. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me, as long as predators cannot dig under it.

Typically quail (at least coturnix) don't use nesting boxes; they just lay wherever they happen to be when they need to.

Hopefully others give some more input; I have some coturnix quail but am not the most knowledgeable person on the subject.

Coturnix quail or a different kind? How many birds are you looking to get?

I don't have experience with keeping quail in a walk-in enclosure, but I think it would work well. The reason people recommend low ceilings is that they don't utilize vertical space much and it prevents them from trying to fly vertically upwards (which they do a lot), but I'd think a really high ceiling like the one in the picture would be fine because they would be unlikely to reach the top and hit their heads.

Is that the exact enclosure you are looking to get? If so, I would cover the chicken wire with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Chicken wire is not predator proof. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me, as long as predators cannot dig under it.

Typically quail (at least coturnix) don't use nesting boxes; they just lay wherever they happen to be when they need to.

Hopefully others give some more input; I have some coturnix quail but am not the most knowledgeable person on the subject.
Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. Yes. That is the exact one I am looking to buy. The 1/4 hardware cloth shouldn't be too hard to find and staple on. I was thinking along the lines of between 12 and 15 quail. My motive is eggs and meat so I would be adding to the flock at around the same rate I'm taking from it.

Why did you choose Coturnix? Are they less aggressive than others? I have heard that Bob Whites taste the best, but have trouble getting along.

Typically, people say if you don't have them in short habitats (like 12-24 inches high), then you want them in at least 6 ft tall cages :) Outside of a cage setting, I've had coturnix fly over a single story house easily (not intentional, of course, I wasn't expecting that lol )

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. Yes. That is the exact one I am looking to buy. The 1/4 hardware cloth shouldn't be too hard to find and staple on. I was thinking along the lines of between 12 and 15 quail. My motive is eggs and meat so I would be adding to the flock at around the same rate I'm taking from it.

Why did you choose Coturnix? Are they less aggressive than others? I have heard that Bob Whites taste the best, but have trouble getting along.
Sounds good, as long as you have a good ratio of females to males.

Coturnix are the kind we researched, and they seem a bit more popular / widely available, I suppose. I am not familiar with Bobwhites or the way quail taste, so I cannot offer any advice there.

Typically, people say if you don't have them in short habitats (like 12-24 inches high), then you want them in at least 6 ft tall cages :) Outside of a cage setting, I've had coturnix fly over a single story house easily (not intentional, of course, I wasn't expecting that lol )
Yes....we've had that experience too. Once one of our males got spooked and flew several houses over. A family member went searching a while later and found him in a cat's mouth. The cat dropped him and ran, and they got him back. He healed up quickly and is still with us.

Quail are generally quite flighty and not friendly like chickens are. There are exceptions though, like @MageofMist 's male coturnix Scrappy.

6 ft tall is probably fine but you will want to be careful walking in and out since they can fly and they’re super spastic and move quickly! :) Make sure they have some good cover spots too, they like having plants and covered spots.

I also put in a vote for the hardware cloth and pavers around the outside for digging predators. :)

I chose Coturnix because they come in lots of colors, they grow fast and lay early, they’re hardy, and a good species for a beginner to quail. I’ve had them for about a month and I love them! They’re super sweet but pretty wild.

Back
Top Bottom