New coop project

Dmontgomery

Songster
Apr 1, 2014
Longville, La
It seems like I'm building a new coop every year! We have some good friends from church, that my wife sells eggs to each week. We will call the wife "M" and the husband "T". A few weeks ago, "M" sent my wife, "B", a text with a picture of a prefab coop and asked her to show it to me, "D", and see if I thought it would be a good coop for 6-8 chickens. She wants to get hens so they can get a few eggs each day. The coop was about 3'x4' with a run underneath. Of course the company had advertised it as being for 6-8 chickens but she was concerned about the stability and actually wanted to make it moveable. It was ON SALE for only about $550 with free shipping. After I finished laughing I told "B" to tell "M" it was way too small and way overpriced. I said "T" could build one much better for much less money that size or a much bigger/better one for the same money.
Somehow that message got warped. The next text was, "Ask "D" to give me a quote on what he will charge to build a new one". Hooray for me... "T" works 12-14 hours a day and has no time for stuff like this. Like I said, they are good friends so I don't mind helping out anyway. But now I've got "B" explaining to "M" that she really wants more than just 6-8 hens and I'm explaining the problems with a tractor since she doesn't know what predators she has. So we decided to renovate the space under a tree house, that was previously used as a rabbit pen.

The tree house supports are 4"x6" posts, so it is making for a good solid foundation. I added 2"x4"x10' to screw the wire and siding to.

There is a 12" window around the top on 3 sides with hardware cloth stapled to the 2x4's. A 24" hardware cloth apron is stapled to the bottom board. Then 1x6 pt pine fencing screwed over the wire.

The coop area is 10'x10' but there is a large pine tree in the center. The nesting boxes will hang on the outside, but since the ladies haven't decided how many hens there will be, I don't know how many boxes to make yet. "M" ordered 25 yesterday but doesn't plan to keep them all.

This south wall will remain "open" to the run for extra ventilation, at least for now. The run will be 10'x20' with hardware cloth all around and on top. There will be a 24" apron of hardware cloth all along the bottom of the run. I'm also putting 1x2 welded wire along the sides 3' high to hopefully keep out predators. The run was supposed to be just 10'x10' but after I got the posts in the ground, the ladies decide it was too small, so it doubled in size. I'm old and fat. I don't have an auger, so I'm digging with a shovel and post hole digger. But they don't mind me doing the extra work!

I'm off to the store today for more lumber. I ordered more wire last night and it should be here Saturday. What started as a 3'x4' chicken tractor for about $200 has turned in to a 10'x30' coop/run for nearly $1000. "M" has 25 Barred Rock pullets arriving tomorrow. Thank the Lord I have 4-5 weeks before they go in the coop! No telling what will be changed by then.

The coop is just a 3 sided box, basically. I'm taking out the slats on the south wall (5th picture) and there will be a run 10'x20' that is 6' high. Got the final posts for the run in the ground yesterday. Hopefully today I can finish trim work on the coop and start framing for the run.

Great story.......probably a tough tossup to have open for air vs solid for shade in LA.

Get some good photos of that apron...looks like a good example.

D@&$ it! I didn't even think about covering part of the run for shade and/or rain protection. Thanks aart! The run will get some shade from the tree it is under, but only a few feet this time of year. As the sun moves farther north later in the summer, it would cast more shade. But very little protection from heavy rains. Fortunately I haven't put up roof joists yet. We will have to discuss a covering with her today.
Yesterday I put trim up on as much ot the coop as I could. Got the run framed out, mostly. Forgot all about taking more pictures. It may rain today so not much progress is expected.

This is a view of the north wall and east wall. The run is to the south. Roosting bars will be on the north wall, 3-4' above the ground, so any "cold" north winds will come through the window well above their heads. Exterior nesting boxes will be added to the east wall when "M" decides how many hens she is keeping.
I ripped some of the boards used for the siding down to 3 1/2" wide. Then I screwed them over the edges of the hardware cloth, making sure the screws went through the wire to hold it in place. 1x4" pt pine is used as trim work at the corners and the top, just to close any gaps and make it look a little better, I hope.

A tighter shot of the hardware cloth apron along the east wall. The people door will be here. The apron is held down with 3/8"x10" galv spikes from Lowe's. Much cheaper than tent stakes and are almost unnoticeable.

More apron pictures for @aart. I will try to do a better job of showing how it is attached around the bottom of the run.

The run is 10'x20'. Since I was using all 2x4's, I added some supports along each span. I didn't want them to sag under the weight of the ceiling joists.

East side of the run, where the people door will be. The joists and supports are held in place with Kreg exterior pocket hole screws.

"M" & " B" talked it over and agreed a portion of the run should be covered. As I mentioned before, all those slats on the south wall are coming out to completely open this end of the coop to the run area. The entire run will be covered in hardware cloth with a gable roof over 6' of it. That will give the hens 140sqft of full sun or 160sqft under roof. Back to the store, again, for more supplies.

"M" received her 25 chicks yesterday at the post office. One did not survive shipping. Another is a little splayed legged but can walk. She thought it was sick and dying so she asked us to take it and dispose of it. We brought it home and cleaned off patsy butt. It is not sick, it was just clogged up. We are keeping her in the little brooder in the house for a while, then we plan to slip her in with some 3 day old RIR chicks we have under 2 different hens in the coop.

Last edited:
Got the shade roof on today.

I built some "trusses" for the first time. Prefabbed them at home then carried them over to the site. The first one is screwed to the treehouse wall. Hopefully the purlins and straps will hold the others in place.

We also got the first 3 sections of wire over the run. Exhausting day up and down the ladder! But at least the metal roofing is done. That slowed everything down a lot. Now it's just attaching wire and trim boards for a day or 2. The chicks are about a week old. Maybe I'll be done by the time they are out of the brooder?!?

Got the shade roof on today.

We also got the first 3 sections of wire over the run. Exhausting day up and down the ladder! But at least the metal roofing is done. That slowed everything down a lot. Now it's just attaching wire and trim boards for a day or 2. The chicks are about a week old. Maybe I'll be done by the time they are out of the brooder?!?
Is the long axis running east/west...south is to the left in this pic?
Might put some of the slatted wall up on the south side of part of the run to block most the sun.
Structure looks great!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom