TattooedChickenPapa

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
So we hatched five Serama chicks recently 🥳🥳🥳 All of them have really nice feathers except for one and I can't figure out what's wrong with them. The one with the problem is the chipmunk coloration, and then just for comparison's sake I included one of the others. The feathers seem to be separating and are really thin and kind of flimsy. This chick was the last one to hatch. I'm just wondering if there's something that I can do because all the others are already starting to like hop around and kind of fly. This one not so much. I'm wondering if it's a genetic component to it?

Attachments

• 1000016063.jpg
    1000016063.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 21
  • 1000016064.jpg
    1000016064.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 10
So we hatched five Serama chicks recently 🥳🥳🥳 All of them have really nice feathers except for one and I can't figure out what's wrong with them. The one with the problem is the chipmunk coloration, and then just for comparison's sake I included one of the others. The feathers seem to be separating and are really thin and kind of flimsy. This chick was the last one to hatch. I'm just wondering if there's something that I can do because all the others are already starting to like hop around and kind of fly. This one not so much. I'm wondering if it's a genetic component to it?
I am not an expert, but I've read a few times here that the color "blue" in chickens (I'd call it grey) is sometimes linked to a gene that reduces feather integrity. I want to say it's called a shredding gene? If the chick is mostly blue in color, maybe that is a contributing factor.

Edit: Whoops, I think it is lavender, not blue, most often linked to shredding.

Back
Top Bottom