A few of m new chickens stink and I think have colds?

Goober1201

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
Apollo Pa, 15613
Hi, I got a few chickens 2 weeks ago. One had a BIG swollen eye and nasal drainage. I was told to rub a lil vicks on her top beak and under each wing. I did and it seemed to help
thumbsup.gif
. Now Im seeing that they all smell like.. I don't even know how to describe it... (
sickbyc.gif
dirty underwear?) and I cant take it... can I give a chicken a bath? And how can I fix this problem be4 they make my older girls sick? Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
Do you have them housed with your other chickens??? I f so remove them asap. Whatever these others have is probably already infected the others
sad.png
but just in case, seperate

You really need to get those sick birds away from any healthy birds you have. The first rule of getting new chickens when you have existing chickens is QUARANTINE!! However, I've got to say, and I'm sorry if I sound too harsh...You should've never purchased a bird that was showing any swelling in the eye, nasal discharge or anything in the first place. It's possible that since it's been 3 weeks, all of your birds have been exposed to something nasty, especially if they have an odor with the discharge. Vicks will not treat a contagious disease. Your best bet is to cull all of the sick ones because if you treat them, they'll still remain carriers and will continue to infect any chickens you have. As far as treatment goes (if you choose to go that route) I think the best antibiotic you can give them is Tylan 50 injectable. I believe the dosage for standard chickens is 1/2 cc in the breast each day for 5 or so days. 1/4 cc for bantams.

Like I said before, I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm just trying to help.

They were all fine when I got them. So I should kill all 5 of the new ones? They all eat fine and drink and play fine and are all happy. I only 2 have the nasal drainage and I think they all just smell. Oh my this is bad.

Chickens shouldn't smell like dirty underwear at all, especially if the smell is coming from the nasal discharge. Let me find some links to direct you to, so you can get more information.

I believe that you are dealing with Coryza. It is a highly contagious respiratory illness that will never leave your flock. The birds may appear to be cured when, in fact, they become carriers and will infect any other bird that you bring in. If they have been running with your flock, they have all been exposed. It is too late to cull the sick ones, your entire flock and been exposed.

wow, so now I have to kill them all?!! Should I call the chicken guy I got them from?? He had over 700 birds!! ALL free range on a 60some acre farm!! I'm sooo ****** off right now!! Are they gonna be OK? or are they for ever gonna be ill and in pain, they seem to never be in pain right now... If so and they can be saved, can I ever eat there eggs?

Back
Top Bottom