Broody in Nesting Box - Refused to be Moved

Kate F

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2015
Spencer, IN
My first broody chicken, a Rhode Island Red almost 3 years old. So, I noticed she was broody so we got our brooder box set up quick, it was in the plans for my younger Buffs for next year. Anyway, we moved her one night, about day 3 or 4, but when she was let out the next day, she abandoned her eggs and went back to the nesting box. So, we moved the eggs back to her.

Candled them this weekend while she was taking her break outside and 5-6 of the eggs look good, 2 look unfertilized but I didn't take them away, worried it would through her off and they didn't stink, and one looks like it may be about a week younger than the 5 good ones.

So my question is, when the chicks start hatching within the next 2-3 days, how do I keep them from plunging to their death out of the nesting boxes? I'm going to see about putting up a rail or something to keep that from happening, but, what are the odds she'll let us move her and them to a new place? It's too late to move her now, again. And, what happens if the chicks hatch before we get the rail on? The plunging to their death that I am worried about?

Last question, we are conflicted as to what to do with her/them after the hatching, supposing they survive...should they be separated from the flock in their own run (like I had started to set up for our Buffs next year) or just open and go and she'll take care of them - all our chickens (except our Bantams that are still young) are free range but they'll have their own food near their brooder box that I am hoping she will use at least after the chicks hatch....thanks in advance.

You will most likely have to keep a close eye on them, most chicks don't move out of their nest on the first day. I wouldn't risk moving her again she could end her broodiness with almost developed chicks, that would be bad. I would keep them separate for the first week or so then put them in with the others. Some people let them out on day one but I find that dangerous so I don't.

They will be fine getting out the nest---put something soft below the nest. As far as how they will do----You will just have to keep a eye on them... I always separate----this is your call. Watch this.

How high is that nest? I've seen a hen get her chicks out of a ten feet high hay loft, she said jump and they did. Isn't it nice to have kids that actually obey their parents? :oops: Seriously, the chicks bounced up and ran to her after they hit the ground. "Plunging to their death" has a nice ring to it but it's not really reality. The plunge isn't the danger. You can pile soft bedding under the nest so they have a softer spot to land if your floor is had, but if it's normal bedding I don't see a need.

How big is that nest? I regularly hatch in nests that are 3 feet off the ground and the chicks do not fall out. I have a decent lip on it. The chicks could hop over that if they wished but they don't. Still I think a decent lip helps. The one time I had a problem with chicks falling out was when I used a cat litter bucket as a nest. The top was 7-1/2" x 11-1/2". When chicks hatch the first ones often climb up on Mama's back to pass the time while they are waiting for the later ones to hatch. In my normal nests that's not an issue, but with that one the hen was sitting so close to the edge that the chick would sometimes miss the nest when it fell off. Four different times I picked a chick up off the coop floor and put it back in the nest with Mama. When that hatch was over I retired that small nest.

People do this all sorts of different ways. I don't consider my way right where every other way is wrong, they all work. Some people isolate the hen and eggs/chicks during incubation, hatch, and when she is raising them. I don't. My hens incubate and hatch with the flock and raise the chicks with the flock.

I let my hen stay on the nest with the chicks until she decides to bring them off. She will know when the hatch is over much better than I will. I have food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to it. That's all I do, the hen manages everything else. She will decide when to take her chicks outside, that's usually after two or three days in the coop floor. At night she settles down with them on the coop floor, often in a corner but sometimes right in the middle of the coop floor. Some people put a nest on the coop floor which she might or might not use.

A word of warning. Chicks like to crawl up under Mama's feathers, including under the wings. I killed a chick once when I picked up a broody hen. The chick was under the wing and I crushed it when I picked her up. I still pick a broody hen up if I need to but I'm very careful.

Just make sure chicks can't fall out of the nestbox as your broody won't move off the nest for about 48 hours, even if one of her chicks falls out and is yelling for her. It will get chilled and die, so it's very important they cannot fall out. And try to watch her when the eggs hatch as this is her first time. Some hens just want to sit and don't know what to do with chicks. I've had a bantam wyandotte kill a chick - she likes to sit (she spends most of summer sitting) but she doesn't actually want to be a mother. Good luck!

I've had broody hens bring their chicks off the nest within 24 hours of the first one hatching. I've had broodies wait over three full days to bring them off. After the chicks internal pip but before they external pip, they start talking to Mama to let her know they are coming. That way she knows if she can leave the nest or needs to wait. Some hatched are over pretty quickly, some really drag out.

When my chicks fell out that one time, the broody stayed on the nest instead of going to the coop floor with it. It was pretty warm, about this time of year, so the chicks did not chill. The other hens walked right by those chicks going to their nests to lay, just ignored the chicks. It's always possible another hen could kill a chick like that but mine did not.

This is all great advice, thank you! I feel much better, I was really worried about them wandering out and going splat. I plan to stay home on Thursday just in case, not that I can do anything but, and well, because I need a day off from both my jobs. Our boxes are about 4 feet off the ground with a hard floor, looks like we'll put some bedding on the floor and see how that goes for just in case. And, the box does have a lip but I think we'll make it a little higher to be safe.

Can you move your nest box? I use cardboard boxes for next boxes, with a large hole in one side high enough to keep the nesting straw(eggs and chicks) from falling out. When the first eggs is pipping.I just turn the box around to the wall, and just check to see when all the chicks have hatched--then bring the box to the cage prepared for the hen and her chicks,water and feed. You have time to work it out--can completely close her next box, allowing air, if the box won't turn around..... Good luck, love to hatch chicks with a good broody hen!!!

We can't move the boxes, he built them out of wood with no inserts....so, making due and yes, hoping the momma is a good mom.

One of the reasons I now have Buffs, Cochins, and Silkies....broody hens.

We had the space in our yard to build a broody cage with a small run attached, all fully enclosed, the run could be closed off from the nest area at night for added protection. It gave the hen room to move when she needed to do her business, etc. Also allowed chicks to move around until Mom and chicks were ready to join the rest of the flock. Since it was in the chicken area of our yard and next to the roosting area, all could see each other and adjust, no one felt isolated from the rest of the flock and the flock didn't see them as "new" additions. It worked for us and since everything was at ground level, no concerns with chicks falling etc. Had hubby put hinged top on broody box. Didn't have to disturb mom at all when cleaning up or feeding and watering. Also works for injured hen who needs some time to heal without others bothering her. hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom